Chapter 24: Sick of Being Sick

A couple of weeks had passed since the night Christy and I were beaten up by two members of Billy's nemesis gang; "B-Street". I was already pretty much healed minus the odd pain from my now sensitive ribs and going to work regardless of Billy insisting that I stay home until I'm fully healed. Christy has been coming to work too and surprisingly staying sober, no drugs or even a drop of booze. However, her face is still badly bruised but the swelling has gone down quite a bit. Christy being Christy though, just caked her face up with a pound of contoured make up and you can't even tell until you're up close to her.

Given how Billy reacted that night and how he treated both Christy and Joe... it goes without saying that I've been hanging out with Christy only at work. Billy and Joe have obviously made up, er, well... Joe forgave his brother and Billy doesn't seem fazed by anything. Billy really could care less, I guess. Joe and Jack have been selling together and Joe's still low key pissed off at Billy.

Christy confided in me earlier today and told me she's having a hard time detoxing and asked if I'd come over and hang out with her tonight to keep her from drinking or doing coke. Naturally since I want her to become sober, I agreed. Now I just have to tell Billy this.

"Well, that's great but you're my boyfriend not my father. So I'll be at Christy's if you need me." I said into the phone as Christy and I approached her apartment door that had just been finally fixed since the night Billy kicked it in.

"Amb-"

Click.

"Did you just hang up on him?" Christy asked wide eyed as she unlocked the door.

I shrugged and followed her inside of her apartment, "I don't care. If he wants to act like a controlling child then he can go do that on his own time."

"Brave girl." Christy murmured as we kicked our shoes off and walked over to the couch where Megan was laying.

"Hey." We all greeted each other at the same time.

"Where's Jack?" I asked dully as I sat down on the couch next to Megan.

"He's on his way here with Joe." Megan mumbled as she exhaled smoke slowly out of her mouth.

I hadn't ate yet at all today since Ramona had to leave work early from getting sick during her shift. She had come down with a really bad cold and flu so I was busy at the bar all day and had no time to even think about eating. Because of this, the inhaling the smell of smoke while having an empty stomach is enough to make me want to gag and I'm a smoker myself.

"How you holding up?" Megan asked me as she inhaled another drag.

I winced, "I'm alright... hungry, but alright."

"You and Billy fighting?" Megan asked.

"No... but we're gonna be, again." I sighed.

"He's still not wanting you around Christy, is he?" Megan asked.

"Of course not." Christy answered sitting down on the other couch and sipping back on a glass of juice. "But... whatever. He has to get over his fit sooner or later, after all I am your best friend and his brothers fucking girlfriend."

"I personally would have whooped your ass if I was Amber and you got me in that predicament. No wonder Billy's pissed off at you." Megan retorted, "But given how fucked up you looked when you came home that night, I probably wouldn't have." Megan added.

Christy rolled her eyes and I giggled slightly, ahhh Megan, how I love her so.

"You guys suck. I'm gonna make some dinner." Christy announced, getting up off the couch and heading for the kitchen.