Chapter 28: Bad Company

"I just feel so empty..." Christy murmured, plopping down on my couch and wiping away a stray tear, "I can't believe he's gone..."

I sighed, sitting down next to her and pulling her into a hug, "I know..."

"He was so excited to be an uncle." Christy snorted, face turning red and tears now pouring out of her eyes. "He wasn't meant for any of this".

"I know, I know..." I soothed softly.

"He would have been there for you, regardless on what Billy says when you tell him. You know that right?" She hiccuped, wiping her tears away.

I nodded and frowned, "I miss him so much."

"What am I going to do without him? I've never loved somebody before. I honestly believe he was the one." Christy sniffled.

"I know, Chris. I'm so sorry."

"I think you owe it to Joe to tell Billy today..." Christy sniffled.

"How?" I asked, pulling away from her and sighing. "He hasn't been home at all in the past two nights since he found out about Joe. He wont answer my calls, texts... anything."

"Well, Jack said Billy and his boys were gonna go see about getting Joe cremated this morning... I also heard Jack talking about having to go to the "office" afterwards." Christy replied.

"That's it! Where's Jack?!"

"At home... probably. Why?" Christy asked dully.

"He will know where this infamous fucking "office" is located." I snapped my fingers, nodding with a smug look on my face.

"Megan asked Jack to quit..." Christy stated, following me into the kitchen where our purses and keys were.

"And?" I asked, hopeful that Jack agreed.

"He said no."

"What?!"

"Even after everything with Joe?!"

"I know... Meg's pissed and worried about him. I think he's becoming addicted to the easy money." Christy sighed.

"Chris, are you sure you want to come with me...?" I asked slowly, scared to hit a nerve.

"Joe would have been right behind you, but he's not here... so I'm going to be." Christy replied as we left the apartment and made our way over to Christy's car.

"You sure...?" I pressed, wincing.

"I'll be fine, Amber... I just want you to tell him and get this out of the way." Christy responded, biting her bottom lip as she started her car and put it in reverse.

Christy had bought a cheap car a day prior to Joe getting killed. She's been paying her bills on time, making payments on her fake tits regularly, staying off of cocaine and booze, bought herself a little car... just to have everything go to shit by finding out her boyfriend was murdered.

"What if things go wrong?" I asked in a low tone.

"Then you'll move back in with us, now won't you?" Christy replied, smiling slightly for the first time in days.

"Thank you, Christy." I mumbled.

"Don't mention it... but let's just hope for the best... Lord knows we could use some good in our lives for once."

"Where are we going?" I asked, already knowing the answer.

"We'll go talk to Jack and find out where this "office" is... then, well... go tell Billy, I guess." Christy shrugged before glancing from the road over to me, "Don't worry... I'll be with you. No matter what."