Chapter 60: Gimme Shelter

Suffolk County Jail, Boston.

Jail was everything you'd expect it to be, and then some. We weren't even that far away from the men, which was petrifying. If we're found guilty, we will both be moved to an actual prison for women, probably somewhere out of state. I try not to think about that, though, as the women here in this jail are mean, scary and ruthless enough as it is. I can't even begin to imagine how they are in an actual prison.

Normally, you spend a few days, sometimes weeks in jail and then released until your court date to determine if you're guilty or not... but since we're in here for murder, we're both doing thirty days before we're released until our court date.

That's only because our lawyers pulled some strings. But given the fact that Jennifer is lying and saying that I killed her friend, and since my fingerprints are on the weapon... I'm fucked.

"Why are you here?" I breathed, sitting down at the table across from Billy.

"Came to see ya,"

"I don't want you here." I quipped.

Billy leaned back in his seat and smirked, "Too busy makin' shower buddies or what?"

My eyes narrowed into a glare and I leaned in across the table, "I'm behind bars because of you! This isn't a fucking joke,"

"I didn't tell ya to go getting into a gun fight in a fuckin bar bathroom," Billy hissed.

Frustration set in and tears started to silently fall down my cheeks, and for a moment, I thought I saw Billy actually feel and show remorse.

"Where is my son?"

"Our son"

"Where is he?"

"He's at home with Megan and Jack,"

"My fingerprints were on the gun that Jennifer used to kill Karla. I'm going to prison, Billy."

Billy sighed and rubbed his temples, "No you're not, you didn't-"

"My lawyer is coming by in an hour to get me to sign Shaun over to-"

"What?"

I sniffled, "I want Megan and Jack to take Shaun and-"

"They're not taking him anywhere." Billy said flatly, cutting me off.

"Look at what I've done!" I exclaimed, glancing around to see other inmates and their visitors still talking and not paying attention to me, "I can't even be a mother, I'm behind bars because I was set up. My best friend shot Jennifer trying to protect me,"

"I got ya the best lawyer I could afford—"

"Even he says this doesn't look good," I cut in, quickly wiping away a tear, "My fingerprints were on the gun that killed Karla, Christy shot Jennifer and Jennifer is alive and telling a different story than what happened... I attacked her Billy, no matter how we look at it... I'm going to serve time,"

A hiccup escaped my mouth and I buried my face in my hands. My body trembled as I cried. I wasn't crying because I was afraid of going to prison— because I was, but I was crying because Shaun is at home wondering where his mommy is, while his fuck up for a mother sits behind bars.

"She'll tell the fuckin' truth," Billy assured me in a low tone.

I sighed and sniffled hard, "She's afraid of you, Billy. She's probably hiding out somewhere until court... she knows you know that she's lying to Wallis... she's never going to tell the truth,"