Chapter 63: The Beach

The SUV was the highlight of my day. It was clean, drove beautifully and most importantly, was safe for Shaun. The seats were leather, it was spacious, had awesome bass - not that I could use it with Shaun inside - but still. I was impressed, happy, and grateful for Billy getting this for me.

Shaun had fallen asleep on our drive to Julia's new apartment. I was still shook by everything that happened this morning with Billy and what he had promised, that I was actually glad Shaun was sound asleep so that I had some quiet time to gather my thoughts.

Julia was going to freak and demand to know where Christy and I were for the past 30 some days. I knew I'd have to tell Julia what kind of life that Christy and I now live, I just didn't want to this soon.

At least we're going to the beach, Revere beach to be exact. I've lived in Boston this long and haven't really bothered to take time to go and relax on one of the beaches that surround the city. I guess that's my own fault.

Sighing, I pulled up in front of the apartment building Julia now lives in, and waited, drumming my fingers against the steering wheel. My eyes shot up at the rear view mirror as I thought I heard Shaun stir a little bit. He was cranky and desperately needed this nap, or else I was going to be up every second hour of the night.

"Hey..." I greeted Julia as she climbed into the passenger seat of my SUV, "Shaun is sleeping—"

"I know," she quipped, shooting me a glare, "that's why I ain't yellin' at your sneaky mother fuckin' ass."

I sighed and began to drive again, "I said I was sorry..."

"Sorry doesn't cut it. You both went m.i.a, didn't even bother to answer my calls or fuck all. I called your sister, ya mother, your other sister... no one knew where the fuck you went."

"Your mom's worried cause of Shaun." She added, glancing back at Shaun from over her shoulder.

"I expected this from Christy, her ass was probably on a coke binge. But you? You of all people? Really?"

"Fuck, Jewls!" I exclaimed, mentally kicking myself after and lowering my tone, "I said I was sorry. It's too much to explain—"

"There's a lot of traffic. We won't make it to the beach anytime soon, so start fuckin' talking." She demanded.

"I was in jail." I told her shortly but honestly.

"Excuse me?" She asked with her brows raised.

"We both were," I added, "You wanted to know the truth? Well, there it fucking is."

"Are you fucking kidding me?! Where was Shaun?!"

"With his dad, and my other good friend Megan and her boyfriend, Jack." I answered slowly.

"What happened?!" She exclaimed.

"A bad bar fight that turned wrong...horribly wrong..."

"A bar fight?" She asked, shaking her head, "You're a mother! What the hell were you doing in a fight? Let alone a bar fight?!"

"What kind of mother gets into a fight inside of some fucking dingy bar, and then ends up in jail for a month? I can't believe you..."

"Don't fucking question my parenting." I snapped, raising my voice.

"Well really! Grow the fuck up!" She hissed, staring out the window and shaking her head angrily.

Clicking my jaw to the side, I drove in silence, letting the shame I felt sink inside. No matter how I look at it, she's right. What the fuck is wrong with me?!