58.

My eyes scanned the pitch black room as Jake pulled me inside. I gasped and coughed as it was thick with dust, and wait, has that wall been knocked down?

"Ebony, quickly." I heard Callan's voice call me from the other side of the knocked-down wall.

I ran towards the giant hole in the wall and looked down to see Callan kneeling beside his father's body on the floor. Tears poured from my eyes as I ran to Carter's side. "Carter?" I touched his handsome cold face with my hand. "Carter, I'm here." He had no response to me or my words. I looked over at Callan, who had closed his eyes. "Callan, are we too late?" I cried out. "No, this isn't right. He has to be alive right?"

"Boss, can you hear me?" Jake said, shaking Carter gently. "You can't go out like this, boss man."

"Carter, I'm so sorry." I sobbed, falling onto his chest. "I'm sorry I wasn't here with you. I'm so sorry."

"Now, now, little one. There is no need for tears." A deep voice said from the darkness in front of me. "He might be gone, but I'm still here."

I looked up to see Leon standing in front of me with an amused smile on his face.

"You will pay for this," I yelled through my tears.

He laughed loudly. "Oh please, if lover boy there couldn't stop me, then what makes you think any of you could even come close."

"You killed my father." Callan bellowed at him. "I will make you pay."

"Yeah, yeah. I will pay and suffer and bleed, blah, blah, blah." Leon laughed. "He lost, and I won. Get over it." His yellow eyes sparkled at his words. "And the best news, this story has just begun."

"What did you do to him?" I yelled at him.

"It doesn't matter what I did, my pretty little human. No, all that matters to you right this second is what I'm about to do." Leon smiled wickedly at me. "We have a bright future together, human. You are the cherry on top of this perfect little day."

"Touch her, and you will wish you had never been born," Jake growled at him.

"I like you, Jacob. I always have. You're angry and dark, just like me."

"I'm nothing like you." Jake spat at him.

Leon just kept smiling. "I know you think you are different, but that is only because you don't know the truth."

"I know you are pure evil." Jake was suddenly standing up. "I know I'm going to enjoy killing you."

"You are right about one thing, Jacob. I am pure evil, and you are about to learn just how evil I can actually be." Leon stepped towards us.

"You are not going to hurt my family," Callan yelled, stepping in front of me. "Not again."

"Oh, dear nephew, I have no intention of hurting any of you. Where would the fun in that be?" He laughed in the back of his throat with pure joy. "You should know by now that I had no intention of killing any of you. If I did, you would be dead."

"I'd like to see you try," Jake growled, clenching his fists tightly.

"Come now, boys. Don't be like that." Leon took another step forward. "The war is over."

"This war has just begun." Callan lunged at Leon, suddenly causing him to fall against the wall. The two of them fought on the floor as Jake rushed over to help Callan.

"Carter, please come back to me. I don't know what to do?" I put my head on his chest and cried.

"It's no good. He's gone, and he's never coming back from where we sent him." I looked up to see Genevieve standing in front of me with a smile on her face. "No one comes back from that."