34.

"Ew," I said, wiping the dark blood from my hands and arms. "I do hate this stuff."

"You're hilarious," Henry laughed as he snapped a vampire's neck and walked toward me.

"I'm sorry, but this shit is gross," I flicked some vampire flesh off my shoulder and gagged.

"How do you feed?" He laughed.

"Through a glass and my straw, thank you, smartass," I said, wiping my hand across the brickwork. "Should have brought some wipes."

"Right," Henry said, shaking his head.

"Look, the door is open," I pointed. "Dopey idiots,"

"Quickly, before the next ones arrive," Henry said, running to the door.

I could hear muffled voices coming from the rooms below me. We were standing in the dark attic of the warehouse that was full of cobwebs and old rotting boxes piled up in the corner. The damp, dusty smell made my nose tickle.

"This is disgusting," Henry groaned as the wood floor creaked beneath us.

"Can you hear that?" I said, standing still.

"Hear what?"

"That loud, thumping sound, I could hear the sound of something thumping and beating loudly. What is that?" I closed my eyes and listened to the wind, instantly recognizing that sound. "Carter, I can hear Carter's heart beating. He must be here," I smiled to myself as I heard his heart beating, but it was far away.

"I agree with Jake on this one. You guys are disturbing," Henry said, walking towards the door and opening it.

"Come on," I said, walking down the stairs.

"What is the plan here?" Henry said behind me.

"We break everyone free and kill everything that stands still," I said, stopping at the end of the wood staircase and peering down the hall.

"Oh good, an easy plan," Henry said, shaking his head.

"I'm glad you like it," I whispered as two vampires walked out of a room just ahead.

"When do we get to kill that asshole?" One of the vampires said in the next room. "He does think he is a gift to the world, doesn't he?" He said, walking away from us.

"Damn, pretty boy," the other one said.

"Jake," we both said, smiling.

We crept down the hallway to the locked door. "So, we just kick this door in and kill whatever is in here?" Henry said as we stood at the door.

"That's the plan," I shrugged.

"Great," he said, kicking the door and charging in.

"Hey, guys, what up," Jake said, smiling as he sat up, chained up in a chair.

"Do you need help?" I said, walking towards him.

"Nah, all good," Jake smiled as he ripped the chain around him into two pieces and stood up.

"If you could do that, why did you let them chain you up?" Henry said.

"They were trying so hard to be tough, and Vinnie is their boss." Jake started laughing. "Vinnie is their boss, and they needed a little support."

"Did you see Carter?" I said, walking towards the door.

"No, I know Callan is downstairs. They were talking to him as I walked in. He looked in bad shape," Jake said, standing beside me.

"Can you still hear him?" Henry said.

I listened, but the thumping was gone, and I shook my head.

"Well, I guess we do this the old-fashioned way then. Kill first, ask questions later," Jake said happily.