10.

"Callan, are you ok?" I said, running up to a bruised and bleeding vampire lying on a hard wooden table in the middle of this so-called 'safe house,' which was just an abandoned warehouse in the middle of nowhere.

"I'm doing great. Feel good as new." Callan put on a brave smile as I touched his hand.

"Stop moving." I heard Jake grumble and noticed he was sewing Callan up near his stomach as the same thick black liquid that was on Mr Morgan when we were on the rooftop was now covering Callan's entire body. "Brace yourself. This might hurt." Jake smiled, almost like he was enjoying inflicting pain on his friend. Callan's fist hit the table hard as Jake pushed his body together.

"Oh, my goodness." I gasped as I paid attention to what Jake was doing. Vinnie held down Callan's legs as Jake sewed him up like a pair of jeans. They were literally putting him back together. "You're almost in two pieces, Callan."

"Correction, he was definitely in two pieces," Vinnie smirked.

My eyes widened at Vinnie's words, and I covered my mouth.

"I'll be ok; it's just a war wound," Callan said, clenching his fist and groaning in pain. "The bastards corned me in the alleyway and attacked, but I got off easy. I can't say the same for some of them." Callan boasted. "I'm glad you're ok, though. When my father arrived and ordered me to leave, I was anxious that something had happened to you." He groaned again loudly as Jake and Vinnie held his stomach together, putting more stitches across his torso.

"Suck it up, princess," Jake laughed, digging in the needle again and winking at Vinnie. "Take it like a big boy."

"Fuck you," Callan said as he closed his eyes and pressed his lips together in pain.

"Now, now, language," Jake smirked as he clipped Callan across the head.

"You are so fucken dead." Callan tried to move but decided that was a bad idea, as I could see the pain on his face. He retreated to lying still on the table without another word.

"Good boy." Jake laughed and looked over at Carter, who had entered the room. "Boss, you ok over there?"

"I'll be fine; it's just a flesh wound. Callan, I'm glad to see you are doing better. Well, at least in one piece again, anyway." Carter replied, smiling at his son, who was now biting down on a wooden spoon. Vinnie was pouring alcohol on his wounds to clean them and finding absolute joy in Callan's pain.

"Stop hurting me on purpose, you asshole," Callan yelled.

"Stop getting cut into two pieces like a little bitch then," Jake said, making a face.

Carter sighed loudly and shook his head. "Ebony, can I talk to you for a second, please?" he said, taking my hand and pulling me to another dark room.

"Sir, I mean Carter; you need to let the boys fix you up. You're still bleeding rather badly and ...."

"I'll be fine. As I told you before, unlike my son, I have a very high pain threshold." he rolled his aqua eyes and shook his head. "I need to talk to you about tonight." He wiped his face with a cloth from the table, removing all the black blood from his face and neck, but he still wore the blood-soaked shirt. I somehow knew it wasn't his blood, though, as it was red.

I tried to concentrate on him rather than the blood, but it was more complicated than I thought. My eyes must have given away what was going through my head, though, and Carter read me like a book.

"I'm sorry, I didn't even think. This blood must be making you very uncomfortable. I'll just take it off." he said, suddenly unbuttoning his white, now blood-stained shirt and revealing his muscular body underneath it. My mouth almost dropped to the floor at the sight of him standing there, but I took a big breath and looked away. He walked over to a basin on the wall and began wiping the blood off his arms, hands, and body. I watched as the water trickled down his back, and I suddenly wished I was the little white towel drying him.