43.

"Are you sure she... I mean, are you sure I will be ok?" I said nervously.

"Yes, they are good people. They will look after you," Carter smiled as we watched five-year-old me play in the backyard of her new adoptive parents.

"Thank you," I said, wiping a tear from my eye as I watched a happy Ebony play with a golden retriever in the sunshine.

"No, thank you for stopping the monster inside me, I shouldn't have hurt you like that. I don't want to become the monster ever again," he looked away from me and cleared his throat as he ran his fingers through his dark hair.

"It's taken a long time for me to come to terms with all of this Carter, and we have had this discussion more times than I care to remember, but I will tell you the same thing I always tell. I will never forgive or forget what you put me through. I can't, and I won't, but I do understand that the creature that hurt me is not you. You are not a monster, and you spend the rest of your life proving that. This moment in both our lives changed us forever and for a good reason. We were meant to be at this moment right now together. It's a little crazy considering Vinnie and Callan opened up this portal, but I understand it now. We needed this time together to set things into motion for our next attack."

"I'm glad you do because I'm completely confused at all of this. I have no idea who or what you are, but I know I can trust you, and I have this constant urge to rip your clothes off with my teeth."

I blushed instantly. Carter was still the only man who could make me feel like this.

"I'm sorry, that was inappropriate, wasn't it?"

"It's ok"

"No, it's not. I realize this is a big moment in your life, and I should have more respect for you. I apologize, Ebony Summers," he took my hand in his tightly.

"Carter,"

"Yes," he whispered as his eyes started to twinkle like they used to before.

"I... I ...." I suddenly felt dizzy like I was rolling down a hill in a barrel.

"Ebony, are you ok?"

I felt his cold hand on my face as it flushed.

"I don't feel so good." I closed my eyes and felt my body go weak as I dropped to the ground.

"Ebony, what is wrong? What do I do to help you?" I heard Carter say as he pulled me close to him on the ground.

"I don't know," I cried out. "Something is not right. Something is happening to me."

"Ebony," Carter called as his hand touched my face again "What do I do?  I don't know what to do. Ebony, please stay with me."

That was the last thing I heard as I closed my eyes.

——————

"Ebony, baby, can you hear me?"

I heard a distant muffled voice in my head.

"Ebony, baby, it's me, Carter. I need you to listen."

The voice sounded like it was coming through an old radio or dial-up internet connection. I could hardly make out the words in this darkness. I tried to call out to him but I couldn't. I couldn't speak, I couldn't move a muscle, and I couldn't even open my eyes as I was surrounded by heavy darkness.

"I promise you I will find you. I promise you I will bring you home sunshine."

The voice trailed off again like I had gone under a bridge.

"Damn it, it's breaking up, can she even hear me?"

I tried to call out to him again but I couldn't.