52

"Eb," I heard in the distance. "Eb, come back to me."

I could hear a voice in the background of my head like the sound of a TV playing in the next room, but no matter how hard I tried I couldn't speak or move, I couldn't even open my eyes, but I could see everyone around me in my head. I could see Jake kneeling over me with his blonde hair falling on his face. I could see Faith standing to my left talking to one of the other witches about something that was of great concern to her, and I could see some well-built guy with almost perfectly white short hair and crystal clear light blue eyes staring at me as he knelt to my right. He was almost studying me like I was completely strange to him. I could feel his eyes staring into mine, and I almost got lost in them as he smiled at me, lying on the ground. He was a stranger to me, yet he felt so familiar. It almost felt like a part of me was staring back at me.

"Eb, sweetheart wake up. I need you to wake up and look at me." Jake said, muffled. "Please."

"It is ok, Ebony Summers, you can wake up now. It's time." The deep gravelly voice said in my head as the stranger smiled and nodded at me. "The world needs you now. Open your eyes."

I felt the same pressure as before surround my body, and suddenly a bright light flashed nearly blinding me.

"Eb, are you ok?" I heard Jake's voice again, but I couldn't see him, all I could see is the light shining brightly in front of me.

"Open your eyes now," The voice commanded.

I sat up with a gasp of air and opened my eyes.

"Oh, thank god," Jake yelled as I felt his hand on my face. "Eb, are you ok? You scared the shit out of me."

I looked over at his face as I gasped in the air. My lungs felt tight like I had never had air in them before. I grabbed onto my throat and tried to slow my breathing down.

"Help, please." I heard Jake yell. "She can't breathe."

I felt someone suddenly behind me, and then I heard Jake's voice in my ear. "It's ok, just breathe, sweetheart. Everything is ok. Just calm down, I got you."

My body started to relax as I took slow deep breaths.

"That's it. It's ok, just like that." He said calmly in my ear. "Don't leave me with the witches. I need you." I smiled softly as I felt his mouth smile against my cheek. His dark stubble tickled my skin as I lay against his chest. "That was epic, by the way. I'll be telling this story for generations to come. Congratulations, you just made the awesome story list."

"My life is finally complete," I whispered out.

"Ebony, are you ok?" I heard Faith's soft voice above me. "I'm so sorry you were caught up in the crossfire."

"Is that what you call that? She was struck by fucken lightning and lifted off the ground. What did you do to her?" Jake demanded.

"I didn't do anything. I don't understand what happened. It should have worked?" Faith looked so disappointed and confused. "I don't understand."

"We need to get her back inside before they arrive." Jake lifted me off the ground.

"No, Jacob, you don't understand. The spell did not work, and therefore we have no defence against him. Our protection spell will only last so long before they break through. We must leave immediately and find safety." Faith said as calmly as ever. "We must leave and go to the mountains to join our sisters."

"What?" I said, suddenly feeling my body tense up again. "You can't just run from him. Trust me, we tried. We have to fight." I sat up in Jake's arms. "We need to fight with everything we have and defend our..." I stopped talking when I saw the big blonde-haired, blue-eyed guy standing next to Faith. He was looking around at everyone like it was all completely new to him, yet no one was looking at him.