26.

"What the hell does that mean? How can this happen? Switch it back right now," I was startled by Carter's voice bellowing all around me, but I couldn't see him or move my body to react to him. I couldn't do anything but lay here on a cold hard surface. I heard another voice join the conversation.

"It's not that easy, son."

"Yes, it is, mother. Get this thing out of me and put it back inside her. NOW!" he was angry, he was furious.

"The elders are trying to work out how to stop this, but you need to calm down."

"Calm down? Are you serious, mother? My girlfriend is lying on a table fucken, dead, and I have air coming out of my mouth and blood running through my veins. I know because I checked,"

"You checked?" His mother said.

"He cut his hand open with a knife and then cried like a little bitch." That was Jake.

"Fuck off, Jacob," Carter yelled.

"Always with the fuck off. I see some things never change around here." Jake was close to me, like right next to me.

"Look, I think we should all just calm down right now and take a breath. Carter, you better handle that one." That was Henry.

"I'm sorry, but what the fuck are you even still doing here? Your royal fucken highness." Carter snapped.

"I'm here because I care about Ebony, and you broke my back," he snapped back.

"Oh, diddums, you're fine," Carter said.

"It hurt quite a lot," Henry yelled back to him.

"Not as much as his little paper cut did," Jake chuckled.

"Jacob FUCK ..."

"I know already," Jake yelled back at Carter. "Fuck off."

"Why is everyone yelling so much?" I said, slowly opening my eyes and moving my fingers. "What is the problem? I'm fine?"

"Ebony," They all yelled as they rushed to my side.

"Sweetheart, how do you feel?" Carter said, kissing my head and taking my hand in his as I sat up gently. His lips felt warm as they touched my skin.

"I'm fine. Actually, I feel kind of hungry," I said, patting my stomach.

"Oh no," Jake bit his lip. "It's starting. Bossman, you're up," Jake said, raising his hands in the air.

"What is starting? Why are you all looking at me like that?" Everyone in the room was silent as they stared at me. "Do I have something on my face?"

"I can see something in your mouth that you might not be too happy about," Jake mumbled as Carter hit him on the back of the head.

"Baby, I need you to listen to me very carefully," Carter sat next to me on the bed and squeezed my hand. "Do you remember what happened before in the forest?"

"The forest? Oh, you got a heartbeat," I smiled. "You're human now."

"No, baby, I'm not human," he shook his head.

"What? Then how do you have a heartbeat?"

He sighed and closed his eyes. "Someone somewhere used dark magic on me. They wanted to kill me and hurt you. I'm guessing my brother has something to do with it. They tried to make me human, so I would be easier to kill, but there was a problem."

"What?"

"You," he kissed my hand. "My heart was connected to you, so it wasn't there for them to take. Hence the pain we both felt, it was because of someone's dark spell."