46

"I'm so glad you're here." I hugged my Carter tightly and took a big breath of relief feeling safer in his arms once again.

"You have no idea how worried I was, sunshine. I was literally on the verge of ripping a hole through that portal with my bare hands. I was so scared something had happened to you. I didn't hurt you again did I?" He looked panicked as he waited for my answer. "Those marks on your neck, that was me wasn't it?" he gently touched the bruises on my neck from where he had held me. "I'm so sorry." He closed his eyes in complete disgust and shook his head gently.

"Carter, it's ok. I know that monster is not you." I put my hand on top of his. "This moment between me and the monster needed to happen. I needed to face him and tell him I'm not that little girl anymore. If anything this moment has made us both stronger."

He looked up at me with a slight smile on his lips. "You are the strongest creature I have ever met. I may have survived four hundred years but I am yet to face my monster. You my beautiful sunshine, have proved to everyone here that you are clearly in charge and nothing, including me, can stop you. I know a lot of other creatures that cannot claim the same." He kissed me on my cheek. "I am truly sorry for what the monster did to you and your family."

"I know you are." I kissed him deeply as he held me in his strong arms. "Just get me out of here, I want to go home." Carter just nodded and kissed me softly lifting me onto his lap.

"Boss, the perimeter is safe. No sign of Leon or ... And, you are both having a tender moment there. My bad, really have to stop walking in on you both like this." Jake said turning on his heel and walking away shaking his head. "Everybody is getting laid except old Jake. Nobody wants Jake." He mumbles to himself.

"We should probably stop before we do something everyone else might regret seeing." I smiled at Carter as I pushed his dark hair back.

"Trust me, they should be so lucky." Carter gave me a wicked smile. "Might teach them a thing or two." he winked and smiled proudly.

"Stop it." I hit his chest playfully. "You are so naughty."

"Ebony, oh thank goodness." I heard Henry's voice behind me.

"Is everyone out to piss me off today?" Carter growled rolling his eyes.

"We will continue this later. Be nice, he is here to help." I kissed Carter and gave him a look before standing up to greet Henry. "Henry," I said opening my arms to greet him. "You made it." I heard Carter growl slightly behind me.

"Hey, you," Henry laughed as I hugged him. "Are you ok?"

"Yes, I'm just happy to see your face. I can't believe you agreed to this." I was so excited to see my family again.

"If this stops the war that is raging on in my world, then I'm all in. My vampires are in danger, and I will not have them living in fear," henry smiled at me. "I'm glad to see you are safe. When I heard that you had been transported back to this time, I feared the worst." Henry looked over at Carter who was now standing behind me and cleared his throat. "I was worried."

"I would be if I was you," Carter said under his breath. I turned and shot him another look.

"I'm fine, I promise." I turned back to Henry and smiled. "I'll tell you, some poor psychologist is going to need therapy after I share my story with them about all of this, but I'm ok. Thank you for coming here."

"Anytime," Henry smiled and bowed his blonde head slightly. "I will always protect you."

"Thank you," I said smiling at him.

"You are most welcome my friend," Henry smiled softly.

"Ebony," I heard a quiet voice behind me, almost like a whisper "Ebony, can I talk to you for a minute please."