40.

I woke up to the sound of waves crashing against the shore. My eyes stung as I opened them, and I had to shield myself from the bright sun above me. I sat up slowly as I looked around my new confusing surroundings. Nothing about this felt right to me at all. I shouldn't be here, and I could feel it in my bones.

"Are you ok?" A quiet, timid voice said behind me suddenly.

I turned to see a young girl with dark hair and green eyes looking at me with complete wonder.

"Oh, hello, you scared me." I put my hand on my chest. "Can you tell me where I am?"

"You don't know where you are? Are you lost?" She took a step closer to me.

"I think I might be," I said, looking around again.

"Where is your mommy?" The young girl asked.

"I think she has gone away, but I need to find my friends. Can you help me? I need to use a phone to call my friends."

"I don't know what that is, but my mommy probably will. She is just over there near that cave. I can get her," she smiled, pointing to a cave in the rocks just over the sand.

"That would be great. Thank you. I just realized I don't know your name yet. My name is Ebony," I held my hand to her as she looked at me, confused.

"Ebony," she repeated, making a face.

"Yes, what is your name?"

"My name is ...." she stopped talking and turned back to the cave. "My mommy is calling me. I have to go," she raced off towards the rocks without another word.

"Wait, I need help. I... Damn it," I looked around, but there was no one anywhere. I could see the sand stretching out for miles as the ocean waves crashed in front of me. Where the hell am I?

"This is bullshit," I yelled out in frustration. "What did they do to me? I have to get out of here." I looked around frantically as my heart raced inside my chest. I realized I had no choice but to go towards those jagged rocks and follow that little girl.

"Damn it. This is exactly how horrible horror movies start or those stupid romance books. Shit." I mumbled as I began my climb of the sandy hillside. How did that little girl get up here so damn quickly? I should be able to scale these hills, no problem. What the hell is wrong with me?

By the time I reached the top of the sand, my whole body was aching. "That was just ridiculous. I must be under some sort of spell. I shouldn't be this tired." I sat on the rock and tried to calm my body. "Wait, what is that smell." A familiar scent filled my nose. "I know that smell, that is fresh jasmine." the scent of jasmine suddenly took over all my senses. I usually hate the smell of jasmine, but this was different. This seemed to calm me and felt oddly familiar. I closed my eyes and let the scent flow through my body like electricity.

"What are you?" I heard a gruff voice say, suddenly ripping me from the trance. I looked around, but I could not see anyone.

"What are you?" The voice boomed across the rocks.

"My name is Ebony, and I'm completely lost. I mean you no harm." I searched the rocks for some kind of life. "Please, I'm looking for.."

"I said, what are you?" The voice yelled again, making my ears hurt.

"Ebony, my name is Ebony." I held up my hands in surrender.

"You are not like us. I can tell. What are you?"

My heart pounded in my chest, and I put my hand over it. "Human, I guess."

"Liar," The voice boomed, and I had to cover my ears. "You dare lie to me, strange creature. You will pay with your life."