50

Carter, you're leaving already?" I said, sitting on the cave floor.

"It's time. You need to get some sleep," he said, pulling on his black coat. "I have to go. The others are waiting for me."

"I want to come with you. I know I can't do much, but maybe I can help with something," I stood up next to him.

"No," he said sternly. "Just stay here with the witches where I know you are safe. I will not allow you to be in any more danger. I should never have allowed you to come with us in the first place. If I had just made you stay back at the cave with Jake, then none of this would ever have happened. I am responsible for Jake's death, and I alone must avenge him."

"Don't you dare blame yourself, if anything, it's my fault."

"No, I'm responsible for all of you, and I let my ego and hatred for my brother take over. I should have stayed with you. This is on my hands, not yours. I must live with the guilt. I am responsible for my family and everything that happens to them. I let you all down," Carter closed his eyes, and I could see the sorrow on his face as he went into deep thought. He was reliving the memory of Jake's death over and over in his head. "Henry is waiting for me. I have to go." He whispered before walking over to me and kissing my cheek softly.

"Carter, you can't blame yourself for this." I touched his face with my hand and kissed him softly.

"It should have been me," he whispered again before turning away from me.

"Carter, the only reason I'm still going right now is that you are here with me. I need you to realize that. If I lose you because of this war, then I have nothing to live for anymore. I love Jake, and I always will, but I can't lose you," the tears were falling from my eyes even though I tried to hide them. I wanted to be brave, but I was breaking just seeing how hard Carter was being on himself. "I need you."

He turned and looked back at me. "You say that now, but I know you will eventually end up resenting me and the anger inside you will eat you until you can no longer take it. I know you will regret being with me, and you will eventually leave me alone and empty. I know how much anger can take over your life and control your every thought. I know what it's like to live with that monster inside you. I should have protected you from all of this. I should never have let you be a part of this world."

"What are you talking about?" I stood up and walked closer to him. "Do you regret me? Is that what you are saying? You regret being with me?"

His eyes widened at my words. "I regret hurting you. No matter how hard I tried to make things right, I always end up hurting you. I brought you into this world. I hired you even though everyone told me it would cost me too much. I brought you into my world, and I was wrong to be that selfish. I had no right to do any of this to you, and for that, I am truly sorry."

"Carter, please don't say that,"

"I had no right to put you in this danger. You should be living a blissfully happy life doing your nails and watching those ridiculous dating shows on the television. You should not be looking over your shoulder every minute, wondering when you might be attacked or who will die next. This is why I don't get close to humans. I bring nothing but death and sorrow. This is why I have held you so close to me. You were the only light in my otherwise dark life, and that was selfish of me." He closed his eyes and shook his head. "I must go before it's too late," he opened his eyes, and instead of his beautiful aqua eyes looking at me, they were the color of blood. He was angry and hurt, and I knew he was trying to push me away like he always did. I knew his words were to convince him of these feelings, not me. I knew he was shutting himself down to protect himself from the pain he was feeling.