12.

"Carter, how are you, my dear?" a thin elderly woman said as she kissed his cheek.

"I'm very well, Diane. Thank you for coming tonight. You look lovely," he held both her hands in his and played the perfect host.

"Never miss it." she cooed. "This is my daughter Dee, the one I was telling you about," next to her was an equally thin woman with thick strawberry curls and a prominent overbite. She almost fell over herself as Carter kissed her hand. "Dee, a pleasure to meet you. I have heard many wonderful things about you from your mother."

"My mother told me you were handsome, but Wowzah, you are gorgeous." she blurted out and then turned bright red.

"Your mother is too good to me. Dianna, and Dee, I would like you to meet my date for tonight. This is Miss Ebony Summers," he said, taking my hand and pulling me towards his side.

"Ebony, of course. We have spoken on the phone many times. Are you two an item?" Dianna said, raising her eyebrow at him.

"Enjoy your evening, both of you," Carter said, pulling me away quickly and avoiding the question.

"Is there anybody not trying to set you up with their daughters?"

"Unfortunately, no," he smiled as he pulled me towards a table at the front of the ballroom. The room was tastefully decorated with flowers on each white table and gold trimmings on the chairs. There was a stage with what looked like an entire orchestra and a large white dance floor.

Carter pulled out a chair for me and pushed it in as I sat. "I have to go and give a speech. Stay here, and I will be back," he whispered. I nodded and watched as he walked towards the stage, people waving and patting him on the back as he walked onto the front of the room.

"Fancy seeing you here, Summers. You look smashing," Callan said, sitting on the chair next to me.

"Hey, you, I'm so glad you're here. Everyone is looking at me like I'm painted blue or something," I looked around the room and noticed everyone still pointing and whispering about me.

"Oh, you're the talk of the party tonight," he smiled.

"Why?"

"Because my father cannot take his eyes off you." he grinned, waving to Carter, staring at us from the stage.

"He's just being polite," I smiled back at him.

"Where is the blood at this party? I'm fucken starving." Jake moaned, flopping on the chair next to Callan.

"Do you ever stop complaining?" I teased him.

"Do you ever stop breathing?" Jake snapped back, pulling a face and sticking out his tongue.

"Good evening, everyone. Thank you all for making the trip tonight," Carter said into the microphone on the stage, and the room erupted into cheers and applause as everyone gave him a standing ovation.

"Thank you, but I am only a cog in this Midnight machine, and I assure you that I would have nothing without my team behind me. Give them all a big round of applause, please," the room erupted into cheers and wolf whistles. The whistling was purely Jake, and he could whistle loud. I laughed as he got on his chair and amped up the crowd.

"They are all essential to the company and important to me." Carter's eyes locked on mine. "I don't show that appreciation nearly enough," he smiled at me, and I instantly blushed. "First of all, let me say it's been a great year ...."

"Are you blushing right now?" Callan said in my ear.

"It's because I entered the room, and she pictured me naked. Ain't that right, Darling," Vinnie said, blowing me a kiss as he sat in the other seat next to mine. "I missed you, sweetheart."