35.

"Ebony," Janet said, staring at a passed-out Carter on the sofa bed in the living room of our apartment. "I have a few follow-up questions,"

"Yes," I smiled sweetly at her.

"How come you never told me our boss was a vampire? And that you were dating him?" She said, leaning over Carter's still body. "Gosh, he is spectacular up close, isn't he?"

"Sorry, I just couldn't," I said, watching her stand over Carter as he lay on the couch. "And yes, he is," I said proudly.

"And you," She pointed at Callan, sitting on a chair cleaning his wounds. "You are the vampire son of my passed-out boss and soon to be my best friend's stepson?" She smiled at Callan, who smiled back at her and fixed his dark hair.

"Single, vampire stepson," he winked and smiled his perfect smile at her. She blushed instantly. "And you are the prince of all vampires?" She turned to Henry, who was pacing by the front window of our apartment.

"Yes, I thought we just went through all this with her? Does your friend suffer memory loss?" Henry said, raising an eyebrow at Janet and studying her like she was in a zoo. "There is something about you that makes me feel angry."

"You don't date much, do you?" She snapped back at him.

"I don't need to," he said quite abruptly. "I have all my needs met. Why would I want to date?" He glared at her.

"Ok," I said, cutting him off. I liked Henry, but he was still learning how to talk with human girls. He still didn't quite understand why they don't all fall at his feet like all other creatures. "Does anyone know where Jake is?"

"Last time I saw him, he was running through the city with a mob after him," Henry said, turning away from Janet's angry eyes. "He said he would find us."

"It's been over three hours now. He should be here," I walked back over to Carter, who was still out cold. "Carter, honey, you need to wake up. We need you," I said, touching his dark hair with my fingers. He didn't move an inch. "Why isn't he waking up? You have almost healed Callan, yet Carter is still covered in cuts and bruises. What is wrong?"

"I don't know?" Callan shrugged. "He should still have the ability to heal himself. Maybe I should slap him hard like they do in the movies?" Callan grinned from ear to ear.

"That's your solution? Hit him more?" I rolled my eyes.

"Well, what have you got?" Callan snapped back.

"You could try kissing him like they do in Disney movies?" Janet said sweetly.

"Are you sure you weren't dropped on your head recently?" Henry said, staring at her again.

"You could slap him," Janet said, smiling at Callan and then at a surprised-looking Henry.

"With pleasure," Callan bounced off the chair and charged at Henry. They wrestled on the floor as Henry tried to escape Callan's reach.

"Carter, please wake up. I need you. We really need you right now." I touched his handsome face and closed my eyes. There was a loud knock at the door, which made me jump.

"Guys, open the fuck up!" I heard Jake yell from the door. I jumped up and ran to open the door.

"Jake, I was so worried about you. Oh, shit," I cried out as I saw him holding his blood-soaked chest.

"Eb, I think I might need some help," Jake slurred as he collapsed on the ground in front of me.

"HELP," I screamed as I dropped to Jake's side on the ground. "Jake," I yelled as Callan and Henry rushed to my side and picked Jake up off the floor. They carried him inside and placed him on the kitchen counter.