30.

"Is he awake yet?" I said, pacing up and down the hallway in front of the library. "It's been two days. He should be awake by now."

"Calm down, Ebony, this process takes time, and we cannot rush it," Henry said, leaning against the wall as he watched me pace.

"But his heart stopped, that means he is technically dead right now, and I killed him, and he won't wake up. He needs to wake up," I yelled out in frustration. "He promised me he would come back."

"Eb, for fuck's sake. Calm your farm and sit the hell down. You're making me dizzy with your constant turning," Jake yelled as he slid down the wall and sat on the wooden floor with his legs out in front of him.

"Shut up, Jake," I snapped at him.

"Why does everyone feel the need to yell at me?" Jake said, hitting the back of his head on the wall. "I might be undead, but words still hurt."

"You know what else hurts?" I said, turning to him and clenching my fists.

"Leave my balls out of this," he covered his groin with his hands. "You promised."

"This is so frustrating. What if I didn't do it right? What if my blood doesn't work properly? What if ...."

"Ebony, we've been over this a thousand times," Henry said, shaking his head softly. "Your blood is going to work, but the transition takes time. You took nearly three days to turn if I recall, and we all had to sit there and listen to Carter go on like this. So just relax and be patient." Henry gave me a reassuring smile.

"You're right. You are absolutely right. I need to be patient and calm down. Sorry, guys." I plonked myself on the floor where I was standing and closed my eyes. "Think calm thoughts. Everything will be ok," I muttered to myself.

"Oh, thank fuck." Jake cheered loudly and clapped. "I thought I was going to have to stake you,"

"You what?" I opened my eyes and glared at him.

"I was joking. I would never actually kill you," he blew me a kiss. "Well, not on purpose anyway."

"Shut up, Jake," I snapped at him.

"You shut up, Ebony." He snapped back at me.

"You shut up first."

"No, you shut you first."

"Ok, enough out of both of you," Henry said, intervening between Jake and me.

"We need to stay focused and remember the goal here. Carter will wake up, and then we find Leon and save our worlds. Agreed." Henry was always one for staying on task.

"I'm good to go," Jake said, stretching his arms up over his head and giving a satisfied moan of enjoyment. "Yep, good to go."

"Fantastic." Henry rolled his eyes. "Ebony?"

"Yeah, I'm good." I spread my legs out on the floor and fell forward, resting my head on the cold hard ground. "Are the council still in the library?" I mumbled.

"Yes," Henry said, moving closer to the door. "I still can't hear anything, though."

"So, I'll just stay here then. They don't seem to like me very much anyway." I relaxed my body on the floor as I knew I was going to be there for a while.

I met with the council yesterday, and they had quite rudely expressed their concerns about Carter and myself, and I quote, 'We feel like you influence Carter that we don't like, nor do we understand, but we realize that fighting with him is useless, as we need him to win this. So, we would all appreciate you letting us deal with the situation so we can keep it professional and under control'. Yep, that's a pretty clear piss-off if I ever heard one.