15.

"Miss Summers, I need your answer," David said again, pulling paperwork from his folder.

"Jake, I can't do this" I shook my head. "I'm just his receptionist."

"Ebony, listen to me. Carter is giving you his whole world because he trusts you. You need to do this." Jake said, nodding his head. "This family needs you to hold us together right now. You need to be the alpha."

I closed my eyes and sighed. "I accept," I said, taking a deep breath. "But when he returns to us, the company is his again."

"I will let him know your terms and that you have accepted his offer. He will be pleased to hear this news. I will send the paperwork to you tomorrow."

"Is there any way I can see him? Please, just for a moment. I need to hear from his mouth that this is what he wants. Is there any way I can talk to him?" It was hard to get that bit out as my voice seemed to stop.

"I can try, but don't get your hopes up. Oh, I nearly forgot ..." He reached into a jacket pocket and pulled out an envelope. "Mr Morgan told me to give you this. I probably should have given it to you when we first met." he handed me the white envelope with my name.

My heart pounded as I opened the envelope.

My dearest Ebony,
How do I even begin this? I miss you so much, and I always think about you. I think about your laugh. What did you do with your hair today? If you smiled today? I never told you this, but I used to listen to you laugh on the phone with your friends when I first met you, and I would smile. You were the only one who could make me smile. I miss you so damn much.

I lied to you the first time I saw you in my office. I knew who you were and what you had done for my company. In fact, I even spoke to you a few times on the phone, but I never gave my name. I knew you were different, and I knew you were just like me. I knew you felt alone but content with it, and I wanted to learn more. I knew this was my chance when I saw you at the office that night, so I sent Jake to get you. Unfortunately, I was not myself that night, and I acted like a complete animal, and I am genuinely sorry for that. 

I have changed my will and left everything to you, you are the only person I trust, and I know you will do great things while I'm gone. Jake will stay with you and be loyal to you, just like he has for me for many years. Protect him; he is family and will fight to the death to protect you.

I'm sorry all this happened, Ebony; I'm not sorry I met you. I meant what I said. You are my one, which means we are destined to be together, if not in this life, then in the next. 

Carter

"What does it say?" Jake said in my ear.

"It said you're stuck here with me and that we run his company now." I looked over at him and tried not to cry.

"Fuck, I'm stuck here with you?" Jake made a face. "Excuse me, sir, is there any room in your car for me?" Jake laughed as I hit him.

"Do you now accept the estate, Miss Summers?" David said, smiling slightly.

I just nodded my head.

"Very good. I shall see you all very soon then." David said, turning around and walking to the door.

"Wait, can you give Carter this" I ran over to the table and grabbed a pen and some paper.

Carter,
Jake explained everything to me, and you have nothing to apologise for. I adore you like I always have, and I always will. We will find a way to get you out there or die trying. I will look after your company until you are back with me, and I promise I will look after it. I will not let you down.

Please come back to me. I need you here by my side. Please make us a family again. 

With all my love
Ebony xx

I folded the paper and put it in the envelope he had sent me. "Can you give him this, please?" I handed David the envelope.

"Of course, Miss Summers," David said, putting the envelope back in his jacket. "I will give it to him tonight."

"Thank you."

"I will be in touch," he said, walking towards the door.

"Why do I feel like I now have an even bigger target on my back?" I said, turning to Jake.

"I can't even see you from the target on your back," he said, scrunching up his face. "Man, I'm going to die, aren't I?"

"Right before me, I'm afraid," 

"Fuck", He yelled, flopping back on the chair.