13.

I woke up to the sound of loud shouting coming from the hallway. I immediately recognized Carter's voice and sat up in the bed, rubbing my eyes. What time is it? I checked my phone; it was four pm which meant the sun was still up. Why is he even awake? I pulled the sheets off me and walked towards the door as the shouting became louder.

"What the hell do you mean she is dead?" Carter bellowed.

"I'm sorry, boss, but we found her body an hour ago. It's definitely her." That was Jake's voice, but he sounded different. He sounded scared.

"Fuck," Carter yelled so loudly it echoed through the house. "Who did this?"

"We don't know," Jake replied. "The cameras missed who it was, but boss, I'm telling you, it was Leon. Her body was torn apart, just like a rabid animal attack. He's here, boss, and he's only going to get closer if we stay. We need to end this shit now; he has to die before we do." Jake was pleading with Carter.

"Leave me," Carter bellowed, and then I heard nothing but silence. I took this as my opportunity to leave the room and opened the door. I saw Carter standing by the top of the stairs in his grey sweats, his hands on his head as he paced back and forth angrily.

"Carter," I said gently. I knew he was mad and didn't know how he would react to me right now.

He looked at me, standing in the hallway in my oversized white T-shirt, and relaxed his tensed body. "I'm sorry, did I wake you? He said, looking at the floor awkwardly.

"What's going on?" I walked to him and stood in front of him. "Are you ok?"

He looked at me with sorrow in his eyes. "Genevieve is dead, Ebony. She was found just before in the garden; she was torn to shreds. She didn't deserve to die like that; she died because of me and my mistake of letting my little brother live. She is dead because she loved me."

I threw my arms around him and hugged him tightly. "I'm so sorry for your loss. I know she meant something to you and Callan. Oh, my goodness, Callan. Is he ok?"

Carter shook his head. "He didn't take it so well. He's upstairs, and I don't know how to handle this. I don't know what to say to him, and I don't know what to do right now." Carter cupped my face in his hands. "How could this happen?" He pulled me towards his chest and held me tightly. "I need your warmth right now," he mumbled to the top of my head. "I need your sunshine."

"You need to talk to your son. He needs you right now."

"I don't think he wants to see me. He blames me for all of this."

"It's not your fault, Carter."

"It is. I told Genevieve to meet me in the garden after you fell asleep. I wanted to tell her that she needed to move on with her life, and so did I, but I fell asleep next to you, which is my fault. She is dead because of me." he closed his eyes and let his head fall back as he sighed loudly. "I need to be alone," he suddenly pulled away from me and started to pace around the floor again. "Just leave me, please."

"Carter, this isn't your fault. You had no control over...."

"Ebony, stop." He cut me off.

"No, you need to talk to your son."

"Leave me, Ebony." He said firmly.

"I just want to help you. Maybe if you.."

"I SAID LEAVE ME," he bellowed so loudly my ears hurt, and I noticed his eyes were the color of blood red. I didn't say anything else to him. I just ran to the bedroom, closed the door, and covered myself with the blankets like a child who had just seen the boogieman.