29.

"Wow, Carter and Henry are not joking around with this war stuff. They have all the portals covered, and both worlds have troops ready to attack at any moment and wolf trackers looking for any sign of Leon and his army. I'll tell you, Leon had better be prepared for this as Carter is hoping for a good fight," Jake said as we walked through the castle.

"That's what I'm worried about, Jake. He's not as strong as he used to be, and god knows what Leon has juiced himself up with right now. I'm really worried that Carter will get hurt."

"Carter has always been good at fighting, and I'm sure his wolf side will make him strong."

"I'm worried that he is not strong enough, though." I looked over at him.

Jake shrugged. "I don't know Eb, I mean, he looks tired, but he is working twenty-four-seven on this. It's understandable. I'm tired, and I'm doing nothing but eating and fucking."

I playfully hit his arm. "I need to talk to Carter about this, but those vampires and wolves are always surrounding him talking about official war stuff. I feel like I haven't seen him in days, and they leave soon."

"Eb, you're better off just leaving him alone right now. He's in too deep to listen to anything you have to say. He will just get mad again, trust me." Jake rolled his blue eyes. "He's always so mad lately."

"Yeah, he had a go at me about being friends with Henry and you," I pointed my finger in his face.

"He did?" He sounded cautious. "What did he say exactly?" Jake gave me a wicked smile.

"He said that vampires are not capable of just being friends and that you both just want to sleep with me, which is completely ridiculous, right?"

Jake's smile dropped, and his eyes went everywhere but on me.

"Jake? That's not true. I mean, I know we flirt and stuff, but you are my friend, right?"

He opened his mouth to speak but pressed his lips together and closed his eyes.

"JAKE?" I yelled, hitting him in the arm really hard.

"Ouch, that one hurt," he said, rubbing his arm and groaning.

"The next place I hurt will be your balls with my foot." I lifted my foot, and he instantly covered his groin in defense.

"Ok, ok, geez. No need to threaten the boys like that; all they want to do is love and ejaculate." I hit him in the leg for avoiding my question again. "Ok, that one was really close. They nearly crawled up inside me then." he laughed, rubbing his leg.

"Jake, I'm being serious. Are you my friend?"

"Look, I'll be honest with you here," he ran his hand threw his blonde hair. "Vampires have never really had what you humans call friends. We don't phone each other to talk about our problems, we don't have sleepovers, and we do not share our feelings. We are just not capable of that kind of relationship with other creatures," he shrugged.

"So it is true?" I looked down to the ground and shuffled my foot on the floor.

"Aw, Eb, don't give me that face. You didn't let me finish. Yes, I'll admit I have thought about you naked, which I have confessed to you before, and yes, up until recently, I was still thinking about tearing your clothes off and making you scream out in ecstasy, but..."

"How recently?" I growled at him.

"Like two seconds after we started this conversation," he grinned at me.

"Really?"

"Ok, I lied."

"Oh, thank god."

"Yeah, I'm still thinking about it." he raised his eyebrows and winked at me.