49

"Carter, I don't want to stay here," I begged as we stood in the cave. "I don't want to be here alone with these witches." I looked around at these strange faces all judging me silently as I argued with the most well-known and feared vampire in the forest.

"I know that I do baby. Trust me, my heart is breaking right now watching you cry, but I can't risk you being out there. My allies tell me that Leon is extremely weak thanks to Jake, and I have to take this opportunity, or I'm afraid he will defeat us with Jake gone now. He did this for a reason, and I have to do this in honor of him. I have to avenge my friend," he cupped my face in his big hands. "Baby, the last thing I want to do right now is leave you, but I must finish what Jake started. That boy just slaughtered my brother to protect you. Leon is barely alive right now."

"Why did he have to die, Carter? Why did he.."

"Because that vampire adored you and he knew that this was his destiny. This was his path all along and he fought to the death to protect you." Carter cut me off before I could finish my question. "That is what a family does. We protect each other. If he had not fought Leon last night, he would certainly have done it in the future and he would have died protecting you. That is why I trusted him with my life and yours," he kissed my cheek. "I'm sorry you are feeling such pain." he closed his eyes. "If I had gotten there sooner."

"You could have died as well. If you had stayed there, Carter, you would be dead right now, and I don't think I could handle that." Tears filled my eyes again as I looked up at his handsome face. "I couldn't take any more pain that would have killed me. If you had died as well ..."

"Baby, it's ok," he pulled me towards his chest. "I'm here," he kissed my head softly. "I will always be here for you." His voice was quiet and soft. "I hate seeing you cry."

"Please, don't leave me here. I don't want to be here with strangers. I want to be with you," I cried. "I just want to go home with..." I started sobbing again at the thought of going home without Jake. "Jake..." I cried, holding Carter tighter.

Carter didn't say anything. He just sat there and let me cry on his shoulder. I was broken, and he knew nothing he could say right now was going to fix it.

"I love you," he kept whispering to me. "I will always love you," he kept telling me like he was trying to remind me. "I'm so sorry." I don't know how long I sat on that floor with him. I don't know how many times he told me he loved me. I don't know when my sadness suddenly turned to anger, but I do know at this moment in time, Leon has to pay for what he took from me.

"You promise me you will make Leon pay," I said, sitting up suddenly. "Promise me. You will make him feel my pain for taking Jake from me. You promise me you will bring me Leon's head," I said, almost shaking.

"I will make him pay for every single one of the tears you shed and for taking our friend. I will make him beg for his life before I take it from him. I will make him pay for threatening you, and I will bring you his head. I promise you." Carter said, running his hands through my hair. "I will make the land run red with his blood tonight."

I smiled at him. "I want to see him die, Carter."

He started to say something but stopped.

"I want to be the last thing that animal sees before he dies. I want to tell him something."

"Baby, I don't think..."

"Carter, if I were a vampire right now, this wouldn't be an issue. I'm still me inside this body, and I want to see him dead," I said through my teeth. "Please."

He placed his lips on mine softly. "As you wish sunshine," he whispered on my lips. "For you, I will do anything."

"Thank you," I kissed him again. "Thank you."