44

Jake and I walked through the streets after the sun had gone down and hid in the shadows of the buildings so we were not recognized by Leon or his army of vampires who were everywhere according to Jake. If this plan was going to work we needed to stay hidden until we were ready.

I remembered the city like this; the buildings that surrounded the city in my time were still just empty land and car spaces. There were a few apartment buildings and high rises, but it looked quite bare compared to the future city that I lived in. Jake didn't talk much. Instead, he just walked behind me and muttered to himself about all the things he thought Carter would do when he found us. Although I knew my Carter better than anybody, this Carter was a stranger to me, and I had no idea what he was going to do when he discovered our betrayal.

"So, what is the plan here?" Jake said, suddenly next to me.

"Well, when I heard my Carter in the darkness, he told me to go to the portal. He told me to hurry, and he was talking to somebody, I'm guessing he wants me to enter the vampire world?" I shrugged.

"We should have waited for Carter,"

"We don't have time. I have to get there quickly."

"No, this is wrong, my spider-sense is tingling, and we need to go back," Jake said slowing down.

"For the hundredth time, Jake, you are not Spider-Man."

"And as I keep telling you, I might be because you don't know everything about me."

"I know you're not Spider-Man."

"That's a discussion for another time, and yes, we will have it out because I have some awesome thoughts I'd like to share on this, but like I said before, this doesn't feel right. We need to get back to Carter."

"That was probably the smartest thing you have ever said in your entire life Jacob," a deep angry voice suddenly said in front of us. My heart pounded loudly as I stared into the shadows. "Do we need to have a discussion again about consequences? I thought I made myself very clear the last time this happened."

"Boss, I can explain everything." Jake held up his hands in surrender.

Carter emerged from the shadows with his arms crossed over his broad chest and his eyes the colour of blood.

"I really hope you can Jacob because I'm mighty angry right now, and I feel that you need to be taught a lesson about respecting one's elders."

"Boss, come on. Please just listen to me. Ella here was just telling me about the voices she heard in her head. I mean it was weird boss, she was having an actual conversation with someone and then..." Jake took a step back from Carter as clenched his fists and glared at Jake. "Please don't hurt me," he begged.

"What? Who spoke to you?" Carter took a step towards me as his red eyes flared up like fire.

"You spoke to me. I mean, you in the future spoke to me, and told me to go to the portal immediately." I took a step back as he stared at me with his angry eyes.

"I spoke to you from the future?" Carter said, cutting me off rather abruptly. "Ebony, what game are you playing at? Are you trying to get yourself killed?"

"She heard Leon's voice boss," Jake said calmly. "She woke up terrified and screaming. I don't know what she heard when she was out, but trust me, she was scared."

Carter stared at me again in the darkness. I wanted nothing more than to run into his arms and hear him say that everything will be ok, but in my heart, I knew I couldn't do that.

"What did he say to you, Ebony?" Carter said softly.

"He said he was coming, he was coming for me," I whispered out, trying not to cry. "I felt his anger in the darkness like flames on an open fire. "He knows what's going on, and he is going to stop at nothing to make sure I fail. He is after my blood."

Carter said nothing as he watched me wipe my eyes. I could feel my heart pounding in my chest as I thought about Leon's cold words to me.

"I'm coming for you."

"Boss, I know I fucked up with this one, but what if she is on to something here? What if that was Leon talking to her? We need to do something." Jake said in defence. "If Leon is after her then.."

"Jacob, will you give us a minute here, please?" Carter said, motioning his head to the shadows.

"Oh, sure, no problem," Jake nodded at me before walking away.

"Carter, listen to me. I promise I had no choice here. I had to see if I could get home."

"You could have been killed, Ebony. If what you are saying is true and Leon is after you, then walking the streets is probably not the best plan right now. I will not have your blood on my hands. You cannot do this."

"I'm sorry, but I want to go home." I felt the tears fall down my cheeks. "I just want this all to end already," I closed my eyes and took a deep breath of the cold night air.

"I can't pretend to know what you are feeling right now or even what you've been through. I wish I could understand more, but all I have right now is your word and a war that is going to end both our worlds. I know you are scared, and I know you are tired, but you are going to have to give me some credit here, Ebony. If you cannot trust me enough to talk to me about this, then what is the point? I know we have a connection as I can feel it when I'm near you, but lately, that connection seems to be getting weaker, like the light is being dimmed inside me. You feel it too? That intense passion I felt for you before is ....."

"Burning out like fire," I said, cutting him off and closing my eyes.

He nodded. "To me, that means only one thing Ebony," he paused as he ran his hand through his dark hair and pressed his lips together tightly before continuing. "To me, it means that your time here is running out, and our connection to each other in this time is beginning to fade from what it once was. We are not meant to be together in this time Ebony, and if we do not succeed with this mission..."

"We never will be," I whispered out as my heart started to ache in my chest.

"We need to work together or not at all. This connection between us is the only thing that will help us defeat my brother. We need to trust each other and hope that is enough," he took a step toward me as I felt the tears on my cheeks. He put his hand on my face and wiped the tears with his thumb. "Do you trust me?" He said softly.

"Yes," I whispered as I opened my eyes and looked into his now glowing silver eyes.

He nodded. "Then, we need to get you back to your time because I'm positive that right now future me is about to do something absolutely ridiculous to get you back," he smiled. "And we both know those moments never end well for anyone."

I smiled as his silver eyes watched me in the darkness. "You look more like my Carter now."

"Can you feel that?" He said, putting his hand on his chest.

"Yes," I could feel the light inside me glow stronger as we watched each other.

"We need to go now. It's time," he nodded.

"Ok," I flung my arms around him and held him tightly. I felt his body relax, and within seconds his arms were around me, holding me tightly.

"I will get you back. That I promise you," he kissed the top of my head as he spoke.

"Thank you."

"Are you ready for this?" He said as I looked up at him.

"Born ready."

He smiled. "Then let's kick some ass and go home," he kissed my cheek softly as his hands cupped my face. "Can you promise me one thing when you get home?"

"Anything,"

"Will you remind me how lucky I am to have you and how miserable I am without you? Just tell me that, ok."

"I will tell you every day," I smiled.

He kissed my cheek again and then took my hand as we walked through the shadows of the night.