19.

"Callan, can you please explain to me why I have Harriet Cooper at my door right now saying that her pet and my girl have a 'play date' to try mating," Carter said, crossing his arms over his broad chest and tapping his foot. "Are you planning on breeding my girl with that boy?"

Jake cackled loudly from the other room at Carter's words.

I stuck my tongue out at Callan. "Big mistake,"

"Oh, yeah. Well, in my defense, I thought we would be gone by now." Callan made a face at me. "And it seemed funny at the time. I mean, come on."

"I'm not laughing," Carter growled. "Get rid of her so we can leave."

"But they would have such cute babies together," Callan smirked at me. "We could have a farm and adopt them out to.."

"NOW, CALLAN," Carter bellowed loudly.

"Ok, fine," Callan said, standing up and quickly walking towards the door.

"You in trouble now, son, being mean to your new step mummy," Jake yelled, laughing.

"Fuck up, Jake," Callan yelled from the foyer.

"Where did I go wrong with that boy?" Carter said, closing his eyes and shaking his head.

I smiled as I heard Jake's belly laughing from the kitchen.

"It's done. Happy now?" Callan said, rolling his eyes.

"In the future, my dear boy, I suggest you trade your things, not mine. Do I make myself clear?" Carter said, clipping Callan across the back of the head.

"Technically, she is my pet," Callan teased and ducked as Carter swung his fist at his son's face. "Ok, I'm sorry." Callan laughed, running to the kitchen. "Jake, you want to hear something funny."

"Bloody kids," Carter said, walking over to me and kissing me.

The next thing we heard was Jake laughing so loudly that the walls nearly shook. "Fucken gold, son, straight up."

"Why does it feel like I always have two children?" Carter shook his head.

"Because you do," I smiled. He ran his fingers through my hair and nodded as he chuckled.

"God damn, kids," He said right before he kissed me. "Boys, we're leaving. Get your shit together." Carter yelled, pulling his head away, and then crashed his lips to mine again. "Let's get out of here and get home already," 

"How are we going to do this, Carter?"

"I don't know, but I will find her and prove my innocence. She will pay for messing with my life and hurting our son."

"Can I watch?" I smiled.

"See, that's why you're my girl. You just get me." Carter smiled.

-----------

"Do I have to wear the leash again?" I whined as we started our walk to the portal.

"I'm afraid so, sunshine, but it's only until we are in the forest," Carter said, clipping on the bright pink collar. "You do look adorable, though. We should keep this for later." he smiled and kissed me.

"Oh, we'll be keeping it, but you will be the one wearing it, buddy boy," I said, crossing my arms over my chest.

"You're so cute when you pout." Carter smiled.

"Ok, let's get the fuck out of here already. Place makes my skin crawl," Jake grumbled, pushing past us.

"Yes, let's," Carter said, kissing my hand and passing my lead to an amused-looking Callan.

"Not going to lie, I'm going to look back at these times and smile," Callan said, dangling the leash in my face.

"I hate you right now," I muttered as he pulled me forward.

The walk was long and uncomfortable as even more people patted my head and congratulated Callan on his choice of quality pet. He was also offered a large sum of money from a man, who I'm pretty sure was a vampire pimp, to buy me. When the man told Callan I have a 'fine ass' for a human, Carter nearly ripped his head clean off. Jake had to pull him away and fast.

"We're nearly there now," Jake called back as we walked through the forest. "It's just up ahead."

"Carter, I'm scared. This is so dangerous." I had an uncomfortable feeling, and it wasn't gas.

"I know, but I have to prove my innocence or die trying," Carter said, putting his arm around me.

"Don't say that," I said, looking up at him.

"I will find her and prove my innocence. I will not let any harm come to you."

Finally, we reached a portal, and I'm assured this is not the same one we came through.

"I will go through first to ensure there is no danger. Callan, you follow, and Jake, you come through with Ebony. You protect her with your life, do you understand?" Carter said, holding my hand tightly.

"Got it, boss" Jake nodded.

"Stay with Jake, no matter what might happen. Stay with Jake, so I know you are safe." Carter said, kissing my cheek.

"I promise. Be careful, please."

"I will see you soon." Carter kissed my hand softly, turned around, and ran through the portal. My heart pounded as I watched him disappear in front of my eyes.

"See you on the other side, guys," Callan yelled as he ran through the portal after his father.

"Are you ready?" Jake said, taking my hand.

"I guess so." I shrugged.

"We will find her, Eb, I promise," Jake smiled.

"I know." 

"Ok, let's do this. Just don't let go of my hand, ok?" Jake squeezed my hand tightly. "I don't need boss man all up my ass today over you being hurt or something."

"I won't let go, don't worry." I nodded.

"Ok, on the count of three. One, two, GO!" Jake yelled, running towards the portal with my hand in his tightly. I closed my eyes, dreading the feeling of falling again, and as we got closer to the portal, I held my breath in anticipation." Here we go." I heard Jake call next to me. I concentrated on my steps, hoping that I wouldn't trip over anything and took a big breath as I waited for the rush of cold fresh air to fill my lungs as we entered the portal. Jake entered the portal just in front of me, but I did not. Instead of running through the open portal with Jake, I hit something hard and fell backward onto the forest ground. I groaned as I landed hard on my back and rubbed my sore head.

"What the hell Jake? What did I just hit?" I yelled, still rubbing my head. My heart pounded as I looked around and saw no one. I saw nothing but trees surrounding me. The same trees I had been around me in the vampire world a few seconds ago.

"Jake? This isn't funny! Where are you?" I yelled frantically, looking around. "JAKE!"

I heard nothing but silence all around me, and I suddenly realized, to my horror, that I was still in the vampire world only now; I was completely alone.