thirty six

"cassandra!" my mom yelled, "¡ya te tienes que cambiar, tus primos y la familia mendes casi llegan! {you have to change, your cousins and the mendes family are almost here!}"

"okay!" i responded.

it was thanksgiving. yay.

every thanksgiving, my aunts, uncles, and cousins from oakland came over. we did the same thing every year. we would make the food at my house, bring it over to my grandparents' house to eat dinner there, then head out and go black friday shopping.

and this year, we would be joined by the mendes' because they didn't have any plans since they're canadian and don't celebrate american thanksgiving. i was excited for manny, karen, shawn, and aaliyah to come over because i hadn't talked to them in a while.

shawn went on a small festival run for two and a half weeks and he took all of them with him. so, they weren't really able to communicate with anyone while they were away.

after a few minutes of 'processing' what would happen later on in the day, i decided it would be a good idea to get dressed.

i changed into a sweater, jean jacket, leggings, black booties, a cartier bracelet and ring, and the necklace shawn gave me. for hair, i kept it straight, and for makeup, i did something simple. [outfit below]

once i finished getting dressed, i started heading towards the kitchen

"ma, what should i start helping you with?" i asked.

"well, well, well," someone said.

i turned around and saw the cousin i was closest with, "katherine!"

"look at cassie being helpful all of a sudden," she said out loud before she whispered in my ear, "i bet it's that boy who's been changing you for the better, remind me to thank him,"

i laughed, "whatever,"

"what was his name again?" she asked sarcastically, "oh wait, let me try to remember that conversation,"

i rolled my eyes, "you're-"

"oh my god," she said, trying to sound like me, "katherine, i'm in canada and i just met the most, oh my god i can't breathe, guy ever, his name is shawn and he has the most-"

"leave her alone, kat," our cousins, carmen and judith said, interrupting her and hugging me, "for now,"

melissa, our other cousin, gave me a side hug, "you guys should get it all out now because when he gets here, cass is going to kill you if you say this in front of him,"

i chuckled, "what she sa-"

"so, where's your boyfriend?" my cousins, emilio and armando asked.

"hello to you too," i said sarcastically, "he's not my boyfriend though,"

"¿ya no saluda la cassandra, quien la cambió? {cassandra doesn't say hi anymore, who changed her?}" emilio and melissa's parents, also know as my godparents asked.