one

it was twelve thirty a.m. on december first. i couldn't sleep. my flight for toronto was in six hours.

"ugh," i groaned to myself while i shoved my face on my pillow. i guess i could update my playlists so they can be ready for the flight.

a while later-

when i finished my playlist, i started getting ready. my look consisted of a black sweatshirt, black sweatpants, black uggs. my hair was in a messy bun, and i had no makeup on. [outfit below]

my name is cassandra, but no one calls me that

my name is cassandra, but no one calls me that. cassie became my nickname in third grade, but that's beside the point.

anyways, you may be wondering...

why is this girl going to canada? well, my family doesn't like to travel. my mom very much dislikes flying, my dad gets stressed about the cost (typical mexican dads are very cautious with money), and my two younger sisters are just impatient. so when i asked my parents if we could go on a family trip, they didn't even hesitate to say no.

but, a miracle happened.

they surprisingly gave their seventeen year old daughter their blessing to go on a trip wherever she wanted, but only in the month of december. my high school is kind enough to give us all of december and the first half of january off. that's probably the only part that i like about my school. of course, my friends make it bearable, but i still really dislike it.

i'm going to canada for a week and a half, then after, also going to new york for a week and a half. i'm not going for long because of two reasons. one, i'm going by myself, so i don't want to be gone for long. two, i want to be home in time for christmas.

you must be thinking many things right now. why by yourself? don't you have friends that could go with you? yes, my best friends could've came with me, but i wanted to experience what would happen on this trip on my own.

i've always wanted to go to canada and new york because when i think of snow and the cold, i think of canada and new york.

california, more specifically, my small town, doesn't really have that, but it's home and i feel safe here.

a few hours later-

my family was dropping me off at the airport. you could tell my parents were starting to regret their decision on letting me go by myself because the look on their faces made it very obvious.

"¡me tienes que llamar todos los días! {you have to call me every day!}" my mom said with tears in her eyes.

"don't do anything you'll regret later," my father said with an unreadable expression.

"¿cómo que? {like what?}" i asked while laughing.

"i'm pretty sure he means doing drugs, drinking, having se-" my younger sisters were about to finish their sentence, but i cut them off before they could.