Slamming Doors

Chapter Forty-One: Slamming Doors

Sara and Joey excitedly walked behind Alex to his backyard. Today was the day they finally got to witness Ria practice her powers. According to Greg, she had gotten better.

The last time they'd seen Ria in action was the day they'd went to the park, that in itself was about a week ago. Time was moving fast. In just one and a half weeks it would be Halloween.

"Hey, can you quickly run to my room and grab my shorts while Greg and I put the mats down?" Alex turned to Ria.

"Yah, sure, I'll be right back."

She quickly jogged to his room and began searching for his shorts. Once she found it, she began to head back. Just as she was about to pass the door, something from the corner of her eye caught her attention. She turned around and looked at it.

It was a large book that resonated with age. It was bound in red leather, dry, yet mysteriously new in looks. The pages looked old, yet surprisingly very sturdy with words scribbled upon them. Words that made no sense to her. The pages, a sleek gold hue, seemed to give off a strange, powerful aura.

She placed her hand on it and felt power surge inside her. The book felt familiar. It felt as though it belonged to her. The words seemed to come off the pages and swarmed around her head. She felt like she was stuck in a trance in which she had no choice but to read the words. They look like gibberish, yet somehow it was starting to make sense to her. It felt like this was a language she knew all too well.

And this book? It felt like it was her birth right to be reading it.

"Yoj rer dohor," Ria mumbled out as her eyes darted to the scripture that was written in black ink.

Suddenly the door to Alex's room slammed shut. The loud obnoxious noise pulled her out of the trance that had captured her. As if on cue she ran to the door and began to pull on it. The door wouldn't budge even the slightest. It's like it was glued to the spot. The large hunk of wood didn't shake or move. It felt like she was banging on a brick wall. She tried to break it down but her actions were to no avail.

"Alex," she yelled slamming her body against the door. "Somebody help me."

She ran to the window that was next to his bed and tried to open it. The window seemed to also be glued shut.

She didn't know what was happening. All she did was read a few words. What did those words mean? She couldn't understand it. The words no longer seemed to make sense. She flipped through pages hoping to find something that would help, but all the words were similar to each other. They were all gibberish.

Why did Alex have this book? Where did he get it from? And what the hell had she done?

*~*~*~*~*

The loud bang from upstairs captured the attention from the group downstairs. They all turned their heads towards the stairs as if they'd be able to see which door it had been.

Alex called out to Ria. When they didn't here her call back they just assumed she was using the restroom. But when the sounds of banging began to ring in their ears, they all but ran upstairs in worry.

The boys were scared Ria had accidentally done something. They felt bad for assuming she'd messed something up, it with the lack of control the young brunette had, they couldn't help it.

"Ria," Sara called out as she reached the door to Alex's room.

"Sara! Oh thank goodness. I don't k ow what happened, but I can't open the door. It's glued shut and it won't even budge."