Silence Before the Storm

Chapter Thirty- Nine: Silence Before the Storm

Ria quietly sat down at the desk in front of her. No one had arrived to class yet.

On the outside, she looked calm and collected, but internally she was dying with guilt and fear. She didn't know how Sara would react to everything. After their escapades in cyberspace, Brian was asked to drop Sara off at her house. She had still been unconscious when she'd arrived at her home.

The whole night Ria tossed and turned. She didn't know what she was supposed to do. Joey didn't ask any questions. He was probably waiting to ask them with Sara. He didn't seem mad at her either. In fact, he didn't say much at all. That was what made Ria worry.

Had she lost the two most important people in her life because all she wanted to do was keep them safe?

They knew her biggest secret now. Not only that, but two people who are still alive have seen their faces. Yes they are currently locked up, but what if someone else was there?

Ria shook her head and tried to divert her mind away from those horrible thoughts. Ria wasn't alone. She had Alex and Greg and Brian, maybe even Brittany. They'd help her keep her family and friends safe. They wouldn't let innocent lives get in danger.

"Hey," a cold hand was placed on her should. A chill crawled down her back, but surprisingly those goosebumps she was excepting never came.

She looked to her side and saw that Alex had arrived already, probably when she was lost in her thoughts. He looked as handsome as ever, but she noticed how tired his face looked. His always perfect dark hair was disheveled, yet somehow it made her heart flip a little.

"Hey."

"You scared?"

"More than ever. I can't lose them. I thought I'd be ok with them being distant from me because at least they'd be safe, but I don't want that anymore. I can still keep them safe, I have you guys to help me. But I can't lose their friendship. They mean way too much to me," she let out a shaky sigh. Her fear was crawling up her throat and causing it to feel lodged.

He placed his hand on her hand and gave it a light squeeze. She felt his icy powers wash over her, calming down her nerves.

"I understand how you feel. I'd feel the same if it were the boys and Brit. You just have to explain to them why you did that."

She nodded her head.

Movement from in front over caused her to turn her body and face the sound. Sara and Joey were placing their things down and taking a seat. They both avoided eye contact with her. They didn't even say hello to her like they usually did.

Her heart fell into her stomach and suddenly it felt like she couldn't breath. She felt like she couldn't do anything. Her mind was clouded with horrible thoughts. They hated her. She was going to lose the two people in her life that meant so much to her after her family.

"S-Sara?" Her voice came out shaky and unsure. She was trying so hard not to cry, but the horrible thoughts were making it so hard.

She casted her a brief glance, but continued to unpack her bag. She didn't say anything. Joey sent her a sympathetic look, but even he remained quiet.

"I-I can't do this." She pushes her chair back and ran out of the classroom. The teacher called her name, but the beating of her heart was louder.

*~*~*~*~*

"Ria," Alex called out after her. He sent a disapproving look at her two best friends before storming after her.

He couldn't leave her to face this alone. It wasn't her fault. He was one of the biggest reasons she hid the truth from her friends. He told her not to tell them. It would only bring them danger. And in a way, he was semi-right. Sara and Joey are now on the Eroian radar.