Dinner at the Dixons

Chapter Four: Dinner at the Dixons

"Why do you guys always do this to me," Ria groaned.

"Do what?" her parents looked at her innocently.

"You're doing it again," she pointed out.

"Doing what," her mom asked.

"The stupid puppy dog eyes you do when you want me to go somewhere you know I don't want to be."

"We don't do that," Ria gave her parents the 'look', "ok maybe we do that, but it's because you can't be like a normal daughter who just listens to her parents," her dad replied.

"Me doing that is what makes me a normal daughter."

"Then why can't you be an abnormal daughter like Rose."

"Because Rose is weird," Ria says somewhat loudly.

"I heard that," Rose yells from her room.

"You were supposed to," Ria yells back, a small smirk on her face.

"Ria," her mom says, breaking her from her trance.

"Ugh, fine. What adventure shall my parents take me on today?" Ria dramatically sighed.

"Dinner at the Dixon house. Scott and I have some work-related news we have to tell everyone," before Ria could even open her mouth her dad spoke again, "especially you, Ria."

"Please don't tell me it's something stupid like you got a bonus, not that's a bad thing. It's just that I don't really care."

"It's not that, it's really important," her dad said.

"Fine," she groaned, walking back to her room.

Its Saturday night and it's been three days since the fainting in class incident. She thought back to what happened when she woke up and smacked herself in the face. She couldn't believe she fainted in class and had to be carried to the nurses' office by Alexander Dixon.

*~*~*~*~*

Ria's eyes fluttered open only to have it close again because of the bright lights. She squinted and got up from her sleeping position. She saw three bodies sitting in front of her in a chair. Opening her eyes more she saw her worried parents and the nurse sitting there talking.

All their heads snapped towards her when she sat up fully. Her parents rushed to her and attacked her in a tight hug.

"Mom. Dad. I can't breathe," she choked out.

"Oh sorry," her mom said. They pulled away from the hug. "Thank god you're ok. When I got the call that you had fainted in class, I almost had a heart attack. I immediately called your dad and we rushed here as soon as possible," her mother was almost about to break down.

"We're so glad you're alright, dear," her dad gave her another hug.

"How long was I out?"

"Three hours," the nurse answered.

Her eyes widened. Three hours! That's a long time to be knocked out. Damn it, she missed so much periods. It's probably fifth period by now.

"The nurse told us that you passed out because of dehydration and lack of eating," her mom sternly told her. "Ria I've told you so many times to drink enough water."

Ria knew that wasn't the cause of her fainting, but she played along. She wasn't about to admit to hearing voices inside her head. The last thing she needed was for her parents to ship her off to the looney house.