Chapter 84 Self Sustaining.

Thorin wakes up from the most relaxing nap he has ever had in his entire life. He yawns and tries to stretch, but he is so relaxed that his limbs are not responding. Thorin is barely able to turn his head towards Alina's side of the bed, expecting to see her lying there but instead sees a piece of parchment. Willing himself with all his strength, he reaches out for the note, the note reads.

*My Love,*

*Well, I was hoping to be back before you woke up, but I guess not. Don't worry about a thing I'll be back as soon as I can. Go back to sleep and enjoy your nap, you deserve it.*

*Love,*

*Alina*

Thorin read the letter twice, it was just vague enough to make his imagination run away with him. Was Alina hurt and didn't tell him, was there something wrong with their children? Could there be some sort of crisis happening in the mountain that she had to deal with on her own?

Every horrible scenario ran through Thorin's mind until he worked himself up into a panic. Finally gaining control of his muscles again, Thorin got out of bed, went to his wardrobe and got dressed. He quickly pulled his boots on then rushed for the door, flinging the doors open to his bedroom, his eyes fell upon Doriel.

"Where is the Queen?! Thorin shouted in a panicked voice.

Doriel tried not to roll her eyes, the Queen was right. The King did wake up in a full panic. She calmly put down her iron and walked up to the king, she curtseys then addresses him.

"My King, the Queen is in a meeting with Balin and the Company in Balin's office, she said for me to tell you that you are more than welcomed to join them."

"A meeting, what kind of meeting?" Thorin asked.

"That, she did not tell me,"Doriel replied.

"Thorin nodded, "Thank you, Doriel, you have been most helpful."

Thorin then turned and left his chambers. As he walked down toward Balin's office, he wondered what this meeting was about. What could possibly been so important that it pulled his love from his side?

When he arrived he saw two Iron Man suits posted outside, they both bowed and greeted the King Under the Mountain. Thorin returned the greeting and stepped inside Balin's office. All conversation stopped when Thorin walked in. He looked at every member of his Company and was surprised to see Tony sitting among them.

"Tony, it is nice to see you again, what brings you to Erebor?" Thorin says as he walks over to give his brother-in-law a hug.

"Well, Alina called me, wanting to discuss the plans she and I had come up with to solve your food shortage crisis."

Thorin raised an eyebrow, "I had no idea you and my Queen were working on this problem."

"Well, the idea came to me when you were attacked and I didn't want you to tell you about it until you were fully recovered." Alina explains to Thorin.

Thorin walks over and takes a seat next to Alina, taking her hand, he kisses it.

"Alright, I am fully recover, so what is your idea?"

"Our idea is that Alina and I buy enough food to supply Erebor and Dale for the entire year. Also bring over livestock and seed to get you guys started on becoming self sustaining. Alina and I thought that the seeds from our world would do very well here because they have been altered to survive in much less nutritious soil. Your soil is richer, so the seeds should do just fine." Tony explains

"And if we get the men of Dale to do the farming and trade with Erebor, we can supply them with the farming instrument they will need to work the land and livestock, plus of course pay them for their product. And maybe, with Bilbo's help, we can convince some of the Hobbits to move to Erebor and give them land as well." Alina adds.

"Then of course there are some of the younger generations of Dwarves that became farmers in Ered Luin to add to the workforce, we could become self sustaining in a five years." Balin says.

"If not in a shorter period of time with our help. I also want to add an Arc reactor in the kitchen so that we can add an industrial refrigerator and freezer so that you all can store fresh meat and vegetables."

"And how would you do that?" Thorin asks.

"Easy, I'll just bend the rock out of the way to make a hole so that the fridge and freezer can fit." Alina explained.

As Thorin listened to their plans, he began to get excited at the prospect of Erebor become self sustaining. Not having to depend on the Iron Hills or any other race was something that Thorin had always wanted and if his Queen and brother-in-law can do it, he was all for it. The upside to all of this was that he and Alina could get married all that much sooner.

"I think it is a wonderful idea, when can we get started?" Thorin asked.

The Starks looked at each other and smirked, "We've already started, the Arc Reactor is already built, cables are ready. Alina is healthy, she should be able to drill through the rock to pass the cables through in no time and make the space for the refrigerator and freezer. Pepper has already lined up where we can get the food, seeds, and the livestock. We were just sorting out the details and were just going to wait for your approval. So we can get started next week, so that would give you a chance to talk with Bard." Tony tells Thorin.

Thorin strokes his beard, "A sound plan, I shall send a raven to Bard in the morning requesting an audience. Then we shall see if Dale is agreeable."

We also need to start building barns, stables, pens, and chicken coops to house all the livestock, when were you planning on bringing them through, Tony?" Balin asked.

"Alina and I were thinking it would be best to wait until spring, oh and we'll also provide enough feed for all the animals."

"We also need to go to the Shire before the spring and see if any of the Hobbits are willing to move here." Bofur adds

"You do realize, Tony, that I will be paying you for all the work you are doing for us and I will not take no for an answer this time." Thorin tells him.

"Yeah, Balin pretty much told me that, alright I accept," With that Tony stands up, "well, I think we have everything covered, how about some dinner?"

Thorin agrees, offering his arm to his Queen they all get up and head for the dining hall.