Chapter 20 The Mountain Curse

*All of Jarvis' talk is in bold*

Jarvis Talking In Bold

Alina woke up alone, her biggest dread had finally come true. She found a dress that Thorin had laid out and put it on. Then dashed out of the room. Right into Dwalin.

"He's sick again, isn't he?"

Dwalin nodded his head in despair, "He said he was going to get you something to eat, then decided to see how the search for the Arkenstone was going and that was the end of it. He's been there ever since." 

"I have to see him, Dwalin." He sighed and led her to the treasury.

"It has to be here, look harder!"

Alina can already hear Thorin yelling long before they reach the vault. By the time Alina reached the balcony, Thorin was bellowing to find the Arkenstone. Her heart broke at seeing the crazed look in his eyes. But when he would look at her, Thorin would become lucid for a moment.

"Amrâlimê, you should be resting."

Alina sighed, "But you were supposed to be with me." Alina said in a voice of desperation.

The insanity returned, "No, I can not I must be here to search for the Arkenstone. Go back to bed or if you feel better, come help in the search."

Dwalin and Alina looked at each other. They both made their way down to the treasury. Alina's energy was pretty much restored. All that water bending she did in Laketown plus the healing had wiped her out. But she felt much better now especially after seeing Thorin lucid for a time. She needed to help with the search for the Arkenstone. Though she knew perfectly well where it was. They searched every inch of the huge Cavern. And while they searched Thorin's obsession got worse.

"No one rest until that Jewel is found!"

Alina approached Thorin," But Thorin if you don't let them rest for at least an hour and get something to eat, they'll collapse. And then what good are they to you?" 

Thorin saw the reason in this, "Alright, you all have an hour to rest and get something to eat."

All of the Dwarves left as quickly as possible before Thorin could change his mind.

Alina looked at Thorin, "Thorin, why don't you go eat?" He gave her a dirty look. She began to backpedal. "Or, or if you want I can bring you something to eat here."

A crazed smile came over his face, "Do that, perhaps you are not as useless as you seem."

Alina felt tears well up when he said that. She turned away so Thorin would not notice. Dwalin flinched when heard him say that about the girl. She was anything but useless.

Alina came back with his tray of food and water. "Bring me, Ale, I do not want water," Thorin ordered.

She had noticed he no longer used terms of endearments. It was becoming quite obvious that the Dragon Sickness had also overridden his love for her. She left to get the Ale when she crashed into Dwalin and fell on her butt.

"Oh sorry, lass, I didn't see you there. That was a great thing getting Thorin to let the lads rest and eat for a while. Where are you off to?"

She sighed. "His Majesty wants Ale instead of water though he needs water."

Dwalin gave her a sympathetic look. "Come on then I'll show you where it is."

The walked off together. Little did they know in the shadow of one of the pillars, lurked the King Under The Mountain. And He was fuming. He didn't like sharing his playthings and he certainly wasn't going to share his favorite, not even with Dwalin.