Chapter 41 After The Battle

The battle was won! Thanks to the combined efforts of all involved. The defining moment was the attack from the North that never came. Thanks to Tony and his suits. The Gundabad army didn't stand a chance. They were completely wiped out only two suits were destroyed getting too close to trolls but killing the trolls in the process. The casualties for the armies of Elves, Men, and Dwarves were still severe, but not nearly as bad as it could have been. Even the Avengers and X-men suffered some cuts and bruises. All of the casualties were being treated in the healing halls of Erebor or if not in The Gallery Of The Kings. The good people of Dale, mostly women, and children, were using the kitchens of Erebor to cook for all of the injured of all four races. For in this battle they had discovered what mutants were and now held them in the highest of regards. Especially with the knowledge that their princess is also one.

True to his word, Logan kept Thorin safe. And was now returning with him to the healing rooms in search of Alina. No doubt she would be there. Thorin and Logan had become fast friends after sharing the fact that they both loved that little mutant but in entirely different ways. And that Thorin had no reason to feel threatened by Logan. Thorin then invited Logan to stay in Erebor with them as long as he liked, which Logan gladly accepted. If Alina could find her mate in this world, maybe he could too.

As expected Alina was found in the middle of treating a Dwarf soldier with her eyes closed. "Huh, that's new," Logan whispered to Thorin.

"What is new?" Thorin asked concern in his voice.

"The color of her healing aura. It used to a bright green and now it the color of... frankly your eyes."

Balin heard this also. "It has been that way since we met her."

Logan's eyebrows shot up into his hairline. "Wow, that would mean she's loved you from almost the beginning!"

Thorin's chest puffed up with pride, Logan nearly laughed at the Dwarf King.

When the Dwarf soldier's eyes opened and he realized he was not going to die. He began to Thank Alina sincerely.

"There's nothing to thank, your bravery on the battlefield is thanks enough."

Thorin couldn't help think yet again *Spoken like a true Queen of Erebor. It must* *be as Tony is so fond of saying a Stark thing.*

Alina told the soldier to rest a while and got up to move on to the next patient. She began to walk away not even noticing Thorin or Logan when she suddenly felt faint. She reached out for something to steady herself with and came into contact with Bruce's arm.

"Whoa there I think it's time for you to take it easy."  He settled her down in the chair she was reaching for.

In an instant, Thorin was at her side. "Amrâlimê are you alright?"

She smiled at Thorin and patted his hand. "I'm alright just a bit tired."

Bruce scrutinized her for a minute, he reached for his medical bag and pulled out his blood pressure meter. He was about to put it on when Thorin grabbed his arm.

"What is that?"

Bruce only smiled. "It's a blood pressure meter to measure her blood pressure. Short version if its too low she has a bit of fatigue if it's too high its stress. I'm guessing fatigue."

Thorin let go, it began to occur to him that she may need a healer from her own world for this pregnancy. He had nothing against Oin, he was a fine healer but had never dealt with mutants. And a pregnancy as unique as this! He would ask Oin. Bruce took her blood pressure and sure enough, it was low.

"Just what I thought, you young lady, need to rest. Have you eaten lately?" Bruce asked

Alina laughed "Food?! Who has time for food and rest?! Ha, I can't leave these people, Bruce, you know that!"

Bruce adjusted his glasses "Need I remind you the last time you did this, you slept for ten days. I had to cath you and give you an I.V. You were also not pregnant at the time. This time I may have to take you back to our world, trach you and put you on a respirator."

Alina looked at him wide-eyed, that thought had not occurred to her.

"What does that mean?" Thorin asked.

Without looking away from Alina, Bruce explained. "It means that I will have to put a tube down her throat and put her on a machine that will breathe for her. Because she will be unconscious and won't be able to breathe on her own. Of course, I'll have to take her home."

Thorin was horrified, just the thought of her not being with him made his heart hurt and then her being in such a state somewhere else was unbearable.

"No, no Alina you will rest whether you want to or not! I'll not have you risk your life or the life of our child. Logan, if you will carry her to our chambers, I would appreciate it. Balin will show you the way. I'll be along shortly."

Thorin looked at Bruce, who got the hint. "I'll go too to make sure everything is alright." Then they left.

Thorin went looking for Oin to ask his opinion. He found the old healer resting in a corner of the healing room.

"I have been looking for you everywhere, Oin."

The old healer smiled a tired smile. "You should have looked here first, Laddie. I heard what happened to the lass, Thorin. It was a good thing her friend was there." 

Thorin sat down in the chair opposite Oin. "That is what I have come to ask you-"

Oin cut him off. "If you have come to ask me if I think it would be best to have her friend Bruce attend her instead of me, I say yes." He pats Thorin's shoulder, "Thorin, I take no offense. I have never dealt with a pregnancy of mix Dwarrow and human blood before much less Mutant blood. And from what I've talked with Bruce about, he is very experienced with mutants. Having worked with a mutant doctor, as they are called, before. I would not want to risk the lives of our future Queen and Prince or Princess."

Thorin hugged Oin and rushed off to the Royal Chambers.

Thorin arrived at his chambers just as everyone was leaving,  "Oh good, Thorin, The lass has been asking for you. I was just on my way to the kitchen to have Bombur make some chicken soup breast only, bread unbuttered and water for the lass." Balin said.

"So little, Should she not be eating more?" Thorin looked at Bruce.

"No, not now, she told me she hadn't eaten in a day so we need to start her off with something light or she'll just vomit it all up. Oh and, Balin, try to make sure there is no fat in it, with maybe just a pinch of salt but no other spices at all." Balin gave a slight bow. "As you wish, Master Bruce."

Bruce chuckled. "Please just Bruce, no need for formalities."

They were all leaving when Thorin stopped Bruce. "I have something to ask of you, Bruce."

Bruce pushed up his glasses. "Sure, go ahead."

Thorin looked down at the floor then up at Bruce. "Will you be Alina's doctor for this and any other pregnancies she may have?"

Bruce was stunned. From what he was told by the Elves, Dwarves were very secretive and protective of their women. Especially their Ones. He had already seen that first hand with Dwalin. So to have the King of Erebor ask him this was a great honor. He'd also have to admit to himself that he was a bit curious about how this pregnancy would go. An 18-month long pregnancy of a half mutant half Dwarf baby had his interest piqued. He was, after all, a man of science.

"I accept your offer Thorin, I would be happy to be her doctor. Of course, you do understand that sometimes she will need to come to our world so I may run tests? You can come too, of course. These tests normally take only a few minutes at the very most an hour."

Thorin nodded his head in understanding. "I understand."

Bruce clapped his hands. "Well, where is the washroom so I can wash up. I might as well examine her since I'm here and before the food comes."