Chapter 38 Day of the Battle

The sun had risen when Thorin opened his eyes. Though he only had a few hours of sleep he feels refreshed. His resolve to protect his One and unborn child strengthened. Thorin had thought to let Alina sleep a while longer. But the minute he unwound his arms from around her she was awake.

"Is it time? What do we do, where should we go, how does this work, Thorin?" Thorin could hear the anxiety in her voice.

"Just stay with me or Logan. I'm sure he has a great deal of battle experience."

Alina thought about it "Yeah in his lifetime he's been through five different wars."

Thorin was impressed. Though he couldn't help notice the admiration on Alina's face. He felt a slight twinge of jealousy.

They got washed and Alina helped Thorin get into his armor. While Thorin was attaching his sword to his hip, he turned around to see his wife putting on a tee shirt, a black sweater a pair of jeans her Nike sneakers and a black leather jacket.

Thorin raises an eyebrow. "Where is your armor, beloved?"

She looked up at him as she was tying her shoelaces. "Don't have any. I don't need it, Thorin, remember healing factor. I wouldn't wear it even if there was armor for me, and Tony knows it." 

Thorin felt his anger growing within him. But more than that he felt anxiety. Just looking at Alina kneeling before him tying her shoes made her look so small and helpless. Thorin knows she is a powerful mutant of that he has no doubts. But still, she is so petite and the thought of having her going up against Orcs that would be towering over her made him ill. Then the thought of the baby also being at risk even though Alina had her healing factor was a little too much for Thorin to handle. All of his fears and anxiety finally caught up with him and came crashing down upon him. It felt like his heart was being crushed. He was having trouble catching his breath. His hands began to shake and sweat was just pouring down his face. Thorin clutched at his heart.

Alina had just finished brushing her hair when she caught the scent of Thorin's great fear and his anxiety level shooting up, and the look upon his face. "Thorin! Thorin, look at me!"

She placed her hands on either side of his face trying to keep him focused on her. "Thorin, you're having an anxiety attack. You need to calm down and try to control your breathing." Alina said to him in a strong but gentle voice.

"Now look at me and try to take nice slow deep breaths. Focus on my eyes, nothing more." Slowly Thorin's breathing returned to normal.

"Are you alright, my love?" Alina asked as she ran her fingers through his thick mane.

Once he had himself under control, Thorin latched onto Alina's middle and would not let go. "I can not, Alina. I can not allow you to go into battle. Please forgive me, but if I have to have Logan stay behind and watch over you, I will. I can not allow you to enter into this battle."

Alina was taken aback! How could he do this to her? She needed to be there to protect him no matter what. She needed to keep him safe. Nothing Else Matters!

"Thorin, why are you saying this to me? I have to be there! I have to keep you safe! And my healing abilities may be needed elsewhere on the battlefield. Please don't make me stay behind!" Alina pleaded with him. "I won't be able to stand not knowing if you're alright."

His resolve was almost broken when he saw her hand fall unconsciously to her belly. Once again his resolve strengthened. Thorin sat her down on the bed next to him and looked intently into her eyes with his beautiful blue eyes.

"Alina, I love you with all of my heart." Placing his large hand over her's as it rests on her belly, he continues, "The very thought of harm coming to either one of you makes me want to die. I know you can heal from any injury. But it's too much for me. The thought of you getting hurt, much less the sight of it will drive me to distractions. Causing me to make mistakes, thereby costing not only my life but others as well. I cannot take that risk. You are too important to me to let go out into all that chaos. So please, please Alina. If you truly love me and want my mind and heart at ease. Please stay here and help in the healing tents."