39.

"I don't even want to look at you but we need to be strong for our daughter. We are going to do this until Florence is home and doing well and then you are deciding if you still want to be with me or not, because right now I don't know what you want." I sighed.

"Okay. I'm sorry. Let's go see our little girl then." He smiled. I took his hand as we walked into the hospital. He smiled down at me before we went into the ward.

"Mr and Mrs Halstead. Hello! I'm about to check Florence and see if she can be picked up. I'm glad you arrived now." The nurse smiled. We went over and I sat in the armchair, laid a blanket over my chest and on my shoulder. The nurse opened the incubator and smiled.

"Can I hold her?" I smiled.

"Come and get her then." The nurse laughed. I smiled at Jay as he stood up and got her. Being careful of the wires as he laid her in my arms. He knelt down at my side and kissed her head as we sat there appreciating the fact our little was still alive and getting healthier day by day. He kissed both our heads and I smiled down at them both. Now Florence was more awake she was all smiles and looking around at everything. It was what we had waited for, the day our little girl was healthy again. Jay smiled at us both and I held his hand.

* * *

I was so thankful for everything that had happened over the past few days. I mean Florence was now 10 days old and I was grateful we still had a daughter to hug and kiss every night. I smiled at Jay as he handed me the blanket. I kissed him gently before running upstairs and into the nursery where Florence was screaming her head off. I picked her up and began feeding her the bottle I had just made up. Straight away she calmed down. Jay come in and put his thumbs up at me and smiled.

"Thank the lord." I laughed.

"Yeah well finish up, get her off to bed and we will go rest up." He smiled. He shut the door quietly, I fed her 1oz of the milk and then got her down in the crib before going into the bedroom and hanging up my dressing gown.

"I love you so much." He smiled.

"I'm glad because I love you too." I kissed him as I stood right against him in front of the bed. I raised my eyebrow and he laughed before I pushed him back with another kiss.

* * *

Being a new mum was hard enough. Being a new mum to a baby that is recovering from heart surgery is something. Being a new mum to a baby recovering from heart surgery, having a tough physical job is my life and I loathe it almost as much as I love it. It's hard. It's demanding and it's exhausting, but I'm managing just fine. I'm doing great. Jay's been the best dad anyone could ever ask for. He is having a lovely time with his daughter. We had our silver cross pram we had saved up for, we had the dream nursery, we had everything we needed.

*

I put her into the Bjorn baby carrier wrap on my chest and smiled. She laid her head on my chest and fell asleep straight away. Erin come down with her new coat on and her bag on her shoulder. I smiled and took her hand as we left the house. She was all smiles and I just loved seeing her this happy.

"I'm so glad Florence is okay again." I smiled.

"Same. I'm glad everyone is okay, I'm happy we are all good and doing well." She laughed. We got into work and she took Florence from me and sat at her desk. I went into Hank's office and closed the door.

"Jay. How are you son?" He smiled.

"Don't you dare call me son." I paced his office.

"What's wrong with you?"

"You. Hank, you are the one that's messing with us. I'm sorry, I know you are Erin's dad, but I don't want you near or being a part of Florence's life anymore."

"Jay that is not down to you. I'm sorry but no."

"Hank we don't want you to be anything to do with Florence's life. We don't want to be messing around with a crooked cop. I'm sorry but how do we know you are going to keep our family safe."

"Jay think about what your doing. Look at what your putting your wife through. Look. She's going to hate you." He laughed.

"Come on don't be like that Hank. We're going to sort this out and we don't need you involved in our lives." I walked out the office and smiled at Erin as she looked up at me. Hank come out his office and stood in front of us as well.

"Your husband here has just told me you both want me to have nothing to do with Florence." Hank laughed.

*

"Dad. We're discussing it. We're just a bit worried about it all. I don't want Florence growing up around the wrong people but we have no problem with you seeing her as long as one of us are with you while you see her." I smiled.

"That's not good enough Erin. She's my god daughter don't be a bitch about it. Come on now. Don't let Jay control you. I mean come on we all know he is controlling. He's a disgusting man."

"DAD! No stop it. Come on dad. You accepted Jay."

"I don't anymore."

"Well then let me set something straight for you. Your being like this and talking about my husband in such a disgusting way you can now leave, don't come to our house at all. Don't speak to us unless on a work basis and don't think about trying to see Florence because we are done with you." I sighed. I stood up and Jay took Florence putting her in the Bjorn carrier as I grabbed my bag and we left the district. Jay held my hand the whole way home, he knew I was angry it was clear. I was so angry I wanted to just punch stuff. I just had enough about it all. Honestly it was so terrible that we'd had to tell Florence's granddad he couldn't have anything to do with her but I couldn't do it anymore.