14.

"What on the earth has happened here?" I sighed. I got out the car looking to find Erin or Jay but I couldn't see either of them.

"Hank there's been a situation. 2 on 1 gun fight or something. One of your team is on their way to med right now."

"Hang on what? Are they on their way now?"

"Yeah."

"Who was it?"

"All I know there was a guy and a girl but I'm not sure who was injured." I ran off and hopped back in my car, speeding to the hospital. When I got there I just parked anywhere with my lights on and ran into reception. I couldn't see them anywhere. I sped through the corridors looking everywhere. Then I come across a ward where I went in there Erin was stood a few feet away from a bed shaking, rocking back and forth covered in blood. The bed had a body on it, a white blood stained sheet over it.

"Erin?" I walked closer to her, she had blood all over her, her face, her hands, her arms, her clothes. She was covered, just staring at the bed in front of her. "What happened out there?"

"Erin? Detective Halstead is in a place where you can be with him now. He's critical but stable." The nurse smiled from behind us.

*

I just ignored Hank and headed out with her to go and see Jay. I was taken into the room and he was laying there on the bed, he wasn't awake but he was on a lot of machines still bleeding. It was just for me to say goodbye.

"I love you. I'll be here when you come out of surgery I promise." I smiled.

*

8 Hours Later.

He come back and I stood up as he was wheeled back into the place the bed went, he wasn't even awake anymore he had a weird machine with what looked like a spring and a tube on and in his mouth on him, a weird mouth guard on his mouth too. His eyes were taped shut, the massive padded dressing on his neck.

"Why isn't he awake? He was awake earlier?"

"He's just had major surgery."

"Yeah he should be awake? What's wrong with him?"

"That's what I want to talk about." Will smiled. He come in and we sat down on the armchairs next to Jay.

"Surely you aren't his doctor. You can't be his doctor?"

"I am. I performed the surgery too. Just let me explain what's going on. Jay was shot in the neck. It hit the jugular artery. It has also hit the upper spinal cord. It's literally severed the spinal cord. We were going to put him in a coma but due to the blood loss and the weakness in the entire body his own body has put him in a comatose to protect him. We don't know how long it will take for him to wake up so it's nothing we can really do. We have to just look after him and try and help him wake up. Sometimes things like massages, known smells and sounds help brain activity, the voices of loved ones, the feel of someone. Simple things like that can help." He smiled.

"Okay....thank you. Can I stay with him? Like when I'm not working?"

"You can come and be with him whenever you want. You don't need access you can come at any time." He smiled. He quickly kissed my head before leaving. I sat back down in the closer chair to Jay and held his hand.

"Also do you want to get changed?" He stuck his head back in with a smile.

"I didn't realise I was still wearing the blood covered clothes. I haven't got any spare?"

"Yeah Hank's got some." He smiled, he pointed at the bag in the corner and I got myself changed into some leggings and a jumper and I held Jay's hand gently. The spring ventilator was going up and down with his breathing. I rubbed circles on his hand.