1.55 Desicions, Desicions

----14 minutes later---

There's just over six minutes left on the clock.

Elena "Caroline's dad! Stefan, he was able to resist compulsion. I don't know how, but he did it. Maybe it's possible."

I looked at her.

Stefan " Yeah, yeah. Maybe it's just mind control, right? Maybe it just takes some focus, a couple decades of training. No big deal. "

Me "The only problem here is, Elena, Nik didn't compel him. He only compelled him to make a choice when the buzzer goes off."

Stefan was pacing around.

Elena" Stefan, you can control this. When that buzzer goes off, safe Adelaide and just drink from me."

Stefan shook his head at her "You don't get it. I can't stop, Elena! I'm a ripper! A ripper doesn't stop! I listen to the words that come out of your mouth, and all I hear is the sound of your heart pumping blood through your body. And when that clock ticks down i'm going to have to make a decision. And you want to know what's worse? i already made it"

Elena " You can fight it. You just have to want it bad enough and you can drink from me and safe her."

Stefan " Why, because I love you?"

I closed my eyes. 

That one hurt.

Elena nodded " Yeah! That's right, Stefan. Because you love me. You'll fight because after everything that we've been through, you owe me that!"

Stefan scoffed "You don't understand! The more blood that I get, the more I want, and if I get so much as near yours...You are dead."

Under five minutes remain. Great.

I stood up "Don't choose, Stefan"

Stefan looked at me "you're dead if i don't choose"

I walked  over to him "Rebekah would never let Nik do this to me. She'll find a way to give me the cure. "

Stefan shook his head "you don't know that for sure."

I nodded "I know Nik. Like i know that this is a test."

Elena asked confused "what test? why would he test Stefan?"

I looked at Stefan "he knows why. And after the test is over you'll know, Elena, we all will know. and i'm going to be okay because Nik will heal me"

Stefan shook his head "I'm not taking that risk"

Me "then you have to choose"

---

there's only sixteen seconds left on the clock.

Stefan " Elena, you're going to have run."

That one surprised me.

Elena " But Klaus said that if I run-"

Stefan" I know what he said, but if you stay, it won't matter. Elena, please, please, please. Elena, there's no other way."

Elena "There is another way, Stefan. It's for you to fight."

Stefan "if i fight she dies"

Suddenly the buzzer went off.

Elena "Stefan...I love you. Fight, Stefan. Don't give up."

Stefan " I can't hold it."

He vamped out and rushed at Elena and she screamed, but he rushed past her to the opposite wall.

Stefan yelled " Elena, run! Go!"

She ran out.

Me "Stefan!"

He turned to me "I'm sorry, Adelaide"

He speeded after Elena. I speeded after him. I followed him into the cafeteria.

I saw him breaking a broom and stab himself into the stomach. Nik walked inside with Elena.

Nik " Now this is fascinating. I've never seen this before. The only thing stronger than your craving for blood, for no matter what, is your love for this one girl. Adelaide. You had made your decision before i even had to said anything."

Nik put a hand on my shoulder "Turn it off"

Stefan shook his head " No!"

Nik sat down on a table near by "Come on. Your humanity is killing you. All the guilt must be exhausting. Turn it off."

Stefan "No!"

I shook my head " Stefan..."

Nik " You're strong."

He pulled the stake out "But you're not that strong. Turn. It. Off."

Stefan " No!"

He pushed Nik away. But Nik pushed him against the wall, compelled him and yelled.

Nik " Turn it off or she dies!"

Stefan's eyes turned dark and his face changed. His whole expression changed.

Elena asked shocked "What did you do?"

Nik" I fixed him. But I think a test is in order, don't you?"

He walked behind Elena and looked at Stefan.

Nik "So, Ripper...Perhaps you'd like a drink.. from the doppelgänger's neck?"

Stefan rushed over to Elena and bit her neck. She screamed.

Home.

I walked out of my bathroom in only one of Damon's shirts. I jumped when i saw Stefan standing in the door frame of the bedroom.

Me "What are you doing here?"

Stefan " Last I checked, I live here. Klaus is gone, but he's asked me to keep watch on Elena until he returns. From now on, she's under my protection."

I crossed my arms over my chest "and what does that have to do with me?"

Stefan showed me a little vial with blood "he also asked me to give you this"

He threw it to me and i caught it.

Stefan "wouldn't want you dead, would we?"

He turned around to leave.

Me "Stefan"

He turned around "What?"

Me "thank you"

Stefan "i didn't have a choice on bringing you the cure"

Me "i didn't mean that"

Stefan breathed in "night, Adelaide"