Chapter Eight

Six days later, and Annabelle has made sure to stay home, in her room. She can't face Harry. Especially now, after what happened. It was so awkward. She did not mean to laugh, and she wanted to cry after she did. Yeah, yeah, she's such a cry baby, she knows.

She hasn't laughed, or made any kind of sound in years. Years! It felt kind of good to laugh, but she didn't mean to and she shouldn't have. It wasn't even that funny.

Okay, it was hilarious and Harry is adorable, but she just can't get over the fact that she laughed, out loud, in front of him, or at all for that matter. It was a slip-up and she needs to make sure it never happens again.

Annabelle avoided Harry at all costs. His family hasn't been over to visit- that's a good thing, and she haven't gone to the store where he usually sees her. How does he always seem to find her at the store? Like, does he stalk her or something? He doesn't seem like the stalker type. It must just be a coincidence. He probably has to go to the store for his mother, as Annabelle has to do for hers.

For the first day in six days, she got up, got dressed, and did something nice with my hair. She kept her bangs straight down, covering her forehead, and decided to braid her hair to the side. She has never done that before, but she sort of like it. She was wearing the same old black skinny jeans and a white tank-top, it had a photo of Paramore on the front.

Call her unstylish and lazy, but all she wears are t-shirts, hoodies, or tank-tops with bands, logos, or movies on them. Sometimes she'll wear a shirt with a quote or something clever on it. She doesn't enjoy dressing up, she enjoys wearing simple clothes.

After brushing her teeth, she went downstairs. It was already one o'clock, and she had nothing to do, as normal.

"Hey," her dad said as she entered the living room. Annabelle looked at him.

"Go put something nice on." He said. She then wanted to laugh, scoff, and roll her eyes. Him and her mother know this is the only type of clothes she would wear, and the only clothes she owns. She put my right hand on her hip in a sassy way. "Well, never mind, at least you have your hair fixed for once. We are having guests over for lunch."

Annabelle walked into the kitchen and saw Julie standing near the stove.

"Oh, Annabelle." She sighed, fanning her face. "Would you mind keeping an eye on the macaroni? I really need to go get dressed, they should be here any moment." Annabelle looked down to see Julie in her sweats. Then the door bell rung. Ha.

"Oh my!" She quickly ran out of the kitchen and up the stairs. Annabelle grinned, shaking her head and walking over to the stove and keeping watch over the boiling noodles.

Her main priority for today is to ignore Harry. She does not want things becoming more awkward, and she doesn't want him knowing anything. She refuses to ever fall for him, or let him in.

Voices could be heard in the living room. Annabelle heard Anne talking to Dave, telling him how lovely the house is. Gemma and Harry were having a conversation about the way the house smells, which is 'like vanilla cake and cinnamon.'

The macaroni was cooked, so she poured the water out and added milk and cheese. She is good at cooking. She doesn't eat meat, so she doesn't bother trying to cook it, but she can fix simple things.

"Hey." Annabelle turned my head and saw Harry. She politely smiled at him. "What are you fixing?" He asked, walking up to her. He saw the food and nodded. "Great, I'll have to try it first." He said with a wink.

She wanted to giggle and laugh at him, all of the time. His attempts at flirting with her were just hilarious.

After everyone got settled down at the table, they had prayer, then started eating.

"Annabelle," Harry said, lightly kicking my foot under the table. "I like the macaroni." Harry smiled, which made her smile as well.

Annabelle looked away. Anne and her parents were talking, eating their cheeseburgers. Annabelle only had macaroni in a bowl.

"You don't eat much. Why don't you eat a burger?" Harry asked, moving his hand to grab the plate of burgers. She stopped him by grabbing his wrist and sitting the plate back down. "What? You don't like them?" She shook her head. "Are you a vegetarian?" He asked. She nodded, a small, shy grin on her lips. He sort of giggled, but it was a boyish giggle. Not like a girly- 'hehe.' But like a boyish chuckle. But not manly.

When lunch was over, she made her way to the living room. Everyone else was in the kitchen, either chatting or cleaning their plates.

"I swear, Anne," She heard Julie whisper. She stopped walking. "She does it on purpose." Annabelle got curious. Why is she whispering? Who is she talking about?

Annabelle walked back and stood behind a corner, making it easier for her to hear everything.

"What? No, she's just a teenage girl. She's probably just going through some stage." Anne replied.

"She has been this way for a long time, it isn't a stage." July replied.

"I say she's just being a brat." Dave spoke.

"She is not a brat." Harry replied.

"You wouldn't understand, you're too young." Dave said.

"I'm twenty." Harry shot back.

"Young and naive." Julie said. "Too young to understand, that Annabelle is seeking attention and is being selfish. She's always been a brat, and now she's taking it too far." She continued.

Annabelle's lips parted, a small sigh escaping. Here we go again.

That's what she has always been in their eyes; a brat, a selfish, greedy, mean, rude, diva, brat. She is not really sure why, because all she ever tries to do- or ever tried to do- was help people, be kind to everyone, love everyone. She never purposely did anything wrong or mean.

"She's here, you know." Harry said, and the sound of a chair being scooted was heard.

"She can't hear us, she is probably hiding out in her room or has those headphones in again." Dave said.

"Besides, I hope she does hear us. She deserves to know how unfair her actions are to us. We are her parents and we deserve to be spoken to." Julie said, then cleared her throat. Annabelle felt like crying, right then and there. She started backing away.

"Maybe she wouldn't ignore you if you would stop being so judgmental of her!" Harry shouted.

"Harry!" Anne said sternly.

Harry came marching out of the kitchen and out of the front door. Bickering and questions filled the kitchen. Annabelle didn't want to hear any more of it. She ran outside to find Harry. He was standing on the sidewalk in front of her house, his arms crossed. He turned to face her when he heard the screen door shut.

Annabelle wanted to thank him. She wanted to cry. She walked over to him. He gently smiled, his arms falling down to the side. No, she did not speak to him, but she did say thanks by slowly and unsurely wrapping her arms around his body. He stood there for a moment, then hugged back.

"I'm sorry you had to hear that. You deserve so much better than them, you know that right?" He mumbled.

She nodded into his chest, even though she was thinking, no, I don't deserve anything, especially not you.

"Annabelle," Harry said. She then pulled away quickly, realizing she was probably annoying or weirding him out by hugging him. "Hey, why'd you stop?" He pouted. "I was enjoying it." He said quietly, a small grin forming on his lips. She smiled, shrugging her shoulders and taking a step back. "Keep ignoring them. Serves them right." He said, then ran a hand through his hair.

His soft-looking, dark brown, curly hair that she would love to just run her fingers through all- Stop. Annabelle nodded and looked down.

"Hey, keep your chin up, beautiful." Harry lifted up her chin. "I love seeing your gorgeous face, don't try to hide it."

She could practically feel her face burning off. Gosh, Harry. Why are you making this so difficult?