Chapter Fourty-Four

"Hello, darling!" Anne smiled at Harry's girlfriend as she entered the kitchen, giving her a hug. Harry was sat in the living room with Sandy, distracting her until Annabelle made her leave. He was depending on Annabelle to make her leave and never come back, that's all he wanted right now.

Annabelle grabbed a bottle of water from the fridge for Harry, smiling at Anne as she walked back to the living room. Placing the water on the coffee table, she sat down on Harry's lap, resting her arm around his neck. Harry looked at his girlfriend with a sparkle of mischief in his eyes, understanding what she was doing.

Sandy glanced at her, giving her an odd look. Wonder what she was doing on top of Harry? Why is he letting her, even when Sandy was right here? Sandy coughed, gaining their attention.

"Annabelle, could I have a bottle also?" She tried to sound polite, but it was a bit snappy, already annoyed at the girl on Harry's lap. Annabelle smiled, nodding her head. She placed a kiss to Harry's cheek before walking away.

That's how the next hour was spent, Annabelle continuously touching Harry and Sandy continuously trying to get her to go away and stop touching her man. She still had no clue they were dating, she assumed Annabelle was just as desperate as her to get in Harry's pants. Sandy wasn't going to let anyone take Harry from her, she was going to win no matter what.

"Harry, you should show me your bedroom!" Sandy said, pretending she had never been up there before. Of course Harry went along with it, not wanting Annabelle to know that Sandy has in fact been up there before.

"Um, okay." He said, whispering in Annabelle's ear for her to follow them and stand outside of the door just in case. He knew Sandy would try to make a move on him.

"Finally alone," Sandy giggled, an obnoxious noise when it wasn't coming from Annabelle's mouth.

"Yeah," Harry let out a nervous laugh, awkwardly looking around the room. Annabelle stood outside of the closed door, listening the best she could, but she could only make out mumbling from two different voices.

"Remember last time we were up here? How much fun we had?" Sandy walked closer to the tall boy, who wasn't much taller than her.

"Uh," Harry's eyes darted around the room, hoping Annabelle would walk in at any minute, but praying she didn't hear what Sandy just said.

Annabelle pressed her ear to the door, hearing footsteps and heavy breathing. She couldn't stand it anymore, she had to get in there and see what was happening. She opened the door, seeing Sandy's hands on Harry's chest and Harry's nervous eyes pleading for help.

Harry had no idea Annabelle would become aggressive and stomp over to Sandy, pushing her body away from her boyfriend's. Harry immediately took action, holding Annabelle's body back from taking things any farther, but Annabelle struggled to get free. She was so sick of this girl in front of her, always doing anything possible to get her way and hurt Annabelle. Not only was Sandy the person who made Annabelle's high school experience living hell, but she also was the one who texted her boyfriend and constantly tried to flirt with him and get close to him. Annabelle was done being patient with her.

"Calm down, Annabelle," Harry whispered in her ear, holding her tightly as her elbows tried to push Harry away. Harry had no idea that Sandy had done so many horrible things to Annabelle in her past.

"What was that for?!" Sandy shouted, regaining her balance and straightening out her crop top. "You don't have to be such a bitch, you know?" Sandy laughed, flicking her hair behind her shoulder again.

Harry's eyes snapped up, ready to defend his girlfriend. "Sandy, you need to go." He said, keeping his patience and his tight grip on Annabelle, who had finally stopped trying to break free.

"Me? Annabelle is the one who pulled the psycho-bitch act."

"Sandy," Harry warned, his eyes squinting in anger. "Go home." Sandy scoffed, moving closer to him.

"Fine, but you know I'm just a text away." She winked, making Annabelle push against Harry's chest again. Sandy looked down at the angry girl and let out a laugh. "Pathetic," she mumbled as she turned around to leave, shutting the door behind her.

Harry held Annabelle for another moment, hoping she would calm down. He had never seen her like this, he thought she would never hurt a fly, and she wouldn't. She didn't like violence, but she couldn't stand Sandy's shit anymore.

"What was that?" Harry's voice was quiet and concerned as he turned Annabelle to face him. She shrugged, not wanting to talk about it. Harry didn't need to know of all the things that's happened in the past. Her good mood was ruined, she was ready to go home and be alone. "You can tell me anything, Annabelle." She noticed he hadn't used a nickname for her lately, making her feel bad for trying to attack Sandy. She was filled with regret and just wanted to go home.

Harry sighed, bringing her to sit on his bed with him. She kept her eyes on the floor, her fingers fiddling with the zipper of her jacket. Harry could feel her trying to distance herself, he didn't know how, he just knew how she was feeling without having to even ask her. Knowing she felt bad made him feel even worse, and suddenly they were both just two bundles of guilt and sadness sitting on a bed.

Harry leaned back, resting his head on the soft blanket and closing his eyes. He was still processing everything that had just happened, he was still trying to figure out what to do to make everything better. Not only did he feel bad for everything that happened today, but he felt bad for everything that happened before that Annabelle didn't know about. He needed to tell her, but he didn't know how. He didn't know how to tell her without her getting angrier. She would definitely distance herself if she knew Harry and Sandy had shared an intimate, but meaningless moment. He already knew what it was like to not be able to hold her when he wanted, having her ignoring him and avoiding his gaze. He didn't want that again. He couldn't handle that again. He loved her too much to let that happen again, so he decided to keep his mouth closed about his past, just as Annabelle had decided to do. Her past embarrassed her, she had so many secrets and so many things she was ashamed of. She knew she would have to tell Harry about some of the things sooner or later, she knew he would find out about things sooner or later. She would cross that bridge when they come to it, she decided.

Harry sat up and took Annabelle's hand, holding it in both of his. "Are you okay?" He asked gently, only getting a small nod from her. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have let her be here. I shouldn't have drug you into this. Obviously there's something between you two that I don't know about and that you don't want me to know about." Annabelle looked up at him, the blank look on her face she used to always have around everyone. Harry's heart stung, knowing she was feeling so hurt over something so small. Was she really that fragile? There had to have been some kind of history between the two girls and he wanted to know what it was. Harry sighed again, repeating that he was sorry before Annabelle leaned into his shoulder.

She went home only a few minutes later, Harry trying to convince her that he would drive her. She turned him down, wanting to walk and clear her head.

"But it's so cold." Harry frowned, his forehead filling with creases. Annabelle shrugged, and Harry insisted on her at least wearing his flannel over her jacket to keep her a bit warmer. She accepted the flannel, putting it on and holding it close to her body so she could smell Harry's calming scent. "If you need anything, let me know, okay? Be careful." Harry kissed her forehead. She nodded, giving him a hug and leaving.

Harry was determined to find out what secrets Annabelle held from him, needing to know why she was such a fragile hearted person. He tried to deny the thought that Annabelle would probably close herself back up, but he knew how she was, and he knew her emotions were not something easily repaired, but they were something so easily broken.