Chapter 62

Harry woke up in his old bed, very confused when he saw Annabelle's phone laying on the pillow beside him and feeling the effects of drinking too much last night, again. Harry sat up, clicking on Annabelle's phone to check the time. The lockscreen just so happened to be a picture of them, and it made him happy. Harry noticed Annabelle's overnight bag in the corner as he exited his room to check on everyone.

Anne sat at the kitchen table, stirring her tea slowly as she kept her head down.

"Is Annabelle really here?" Harry's smile beamed, excitement in his eyes. Anne nodded, looking up at him with tired eyes. "What's wrong?" His smile lessened. Anne shook her head, and Harry sat down in front of her. "Mum," he took her hand. She sighed.

"You were so out of control last night, Harry. I just, it was impossible to make you stop." Anne's voice seemed just as tired as her eyes.

"What did I do?" Harry was terrified that he had hurt someone again.

"Same thing as usual."

"Why is Annabelle here? Did she forgive me?" Anne shrugged.

"I called her when you wouldn't settle down."

"Then what happened?" Harry leaned closer to his mother.

"Why don't you ask her yourself?" Anne's words frightened Harry, the way she said it sounded like he'd done something else to hurt her.

"Fine. I will. Not that she'll answer, though." He shrugged, trying to seem like he didn't care.

After going to the bathroom to freshen up, he entered his room and saw Annabelle sitting in the middle of his bed. He couldn't help but feel so giddy inside as he practically ran to her and jumped into her lap, making her fall back onto the bed with a small 'oof.'

"I don't know why you're here, but I'm very happy you decided to stay after whatever happened last night." Harry nuzzled his nose closer to her neck, ticking her slightly. Harry noticed as Annabelle let out a breath and accepted his cuddles, exciting him even more.

"I got a new place, you know?" Harry lifted his head up and looked into Annabelle's eyes. She nodded, remembering how he told her everything and anything last night. "You'll have to come see it soon, I think you'll like it. Do you like your new job? You're good at it, you know." Harry continued rambling, just wanting to catch up with Annabelle and make it feel like old times. There was still a small amount of awkwardness between them, and Annabelle's walls were thicker than ever before. She simply nodded, giving him a small smile.

"Your eyes look so sad." Harry whispered after many moments of staring at her. "Why are they like that?" Harry's hand reach up to cup her jaw, his thumb stroking over her cheekbone. She stared back at him, trying to make her eyes hide everything she felt, but it were too difficult when he was saying these things to her.

"Let me take you back to my place. I'll fix you breakfast, yeah?" Harry sat up, pulling her up with him. "I'm a great chef, you know." He giggled. She playfully rolled her eyes and nodded.

They both got dressed and went downstairs, Annabelle's overnight bag in Harry's hands. He insisted on carrying it.

"We're going to head back to my place, okay, mum?" Harry asked her, pulling her into a hug.

"Mhm. Stay safe, don't do anything stupid." Anne demanded, slapping his chest slightly. Harry kissed the top of her head and told Gemma a goodbye. Then him and Annabelle were gone, heading out to his car and driving to his apartment.

"I think you'll love it, I even bought a soft blanket, the kind you like." Harry smiled as he looked over at his... whatever she was. He unlocked the door and allowed her to enter, clicking the door shut behind them.

She stood at the end of the foyer, looking around. The open space allowed her to see the living room, kitchen, and hallway to his room from there. He stood behind her, watching her take in the dark designs of his place.

Harry began fixing waffles, even though it were past noon. Annabelle joined him in the small kitchen with grey counters. Harry turned around and swiped the runny dough across her nose, watching as her eyes switched from distant to entertained. She gave him a mischievous grin and reach her fingers into the bowl of unbaked waffle dough, then dabbed it on his cheek. When he went to poke more dough onto her face, she ducked under his arms and ran behind him, backing up against the counter and hiding her face behind a dish towel. She heard him quietly laugh as he opened the waffle maker and placed the hot food on a plate.

Harry stood in front of her, gently pulling the towel down to reveal her small smile. He wiped his cheek with the towel before wiping her nose, taking his time so he could stay closer to her for a moment more. The room was quiet, they could only hear the soft sounds of Fleetwood Mac playing through the record player in the living room. Harry bent down to kiss her forehead, making her cheeks turn pink just like the first time he kissed her cheek. He could remember it perfectly. He helped her carry in the groceries he helped her buy, setting them in her kitchen and nervously telling her he'd see her soon and pressing his lips to her soft cheek.

Annabelle gave Harry a soft smile and turned to pour the rest of the batter into the waffle iron. She closed the lid and watched the timer lose seconds. Her stomach had butterflies again. She felt the same way she did the first time they went on a real date, and she couldn't figure out why. Maybe because she'd spent so much time away from him and started to forget what his touches and kisses felt like, if that were even possible.

They ate in silence, Annabelle only eating half and Harry eating two waffles. She silently laughed at how much of an appetite he had, it was quite adorable to her. Harry complained about being too full as Annabelle sat their plates in the sink and began washing them.

"Hey, you don't have to do that." Harry stood beside her, and she shrugged. She wanted to. She wanted to get her mind off of the slight awkwardness that still lingered between them. Harry had so many words he wanted to say to her, but he just didn't know how to. He didn't know how to phrase everything the right way and persuade her to give him another chance.

A few minutes later, they were sat on his couch. Annabelle pulled the cozy, fluffy blanket closer to her body as she felt cold chills travel up her spine. They both sat quietly, a whole cushion and pillow between their bodies. Harry felt tempted to move the pillow and pull her closer, but he didn't want to overstep any boundaries. He were being so careful this time.

"My dad died when I was fifteen." Harry spoke, his eyes focused on the side of her face that he could see. "He wasn't a bad guy until I was seven." Harry leaned his head back on the couch, looking at the ceiling.

"He always came home drunk and hurt my mum. He'd yell at me and Gem, but he never laid his hands on us in a hurtful manner until I was ten." He paused for a moment, trying to gather his thoughts sentences. "I never thought I would ever act like him."

Silence took over the room again, and it drove Harry crazy. He just wanted Annabelle to forgive him so he could hug her and kiss her and tell her how much he loved her.

"I never meant to hurt you. It just happened." Harry rubbed his hands over his face. "I swear it, Annabelle. I know I've already told you it was a mistake, but I'd tell you how sorry I am a thousand times if it's what you want me to do." Harry moved the pillow and scooted closer to her. "Do you want me to get on my knees and beg? I'll do it."

She kept her eyes in front of her, keeping them closed. She didn't want to cry in front of him again.

"Do you want me to say that I'm sorry forty-seven-thousand times? I'd do it if it would make you realize how much I love you." He held Annabelle's chin, moving her head to face him.

"Look at me." She didn't. "Open your beautiful eyes, Annabelle. Let me see your big brown eyes that I've missed so much." Annabelle fluttered her eyes open, giving Harry what he wanted. She watched as he moved onto his knees in front of her.

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I'm sorry." And he kept going, making her grin. She pressed her hands to his cheeks and leaned over so her forehead was against his. He kept repeated the two words, both of them breaking into smiles. She closed his lips with her fingers and pulled him back up into the couch.

"Does this mean I'm forgiven?" Harry's sweet smile questioned. She nodded, making his smile even bigger than before. He let out a deep breath, pulling her body closer to his and she covered them both up with the blanket.