Chapter 73

Annabelle had a nice day at work. The ladies she worked with were sweet, and there weren't too many customers. Every seemed to be kind today, and she hoped that Harry would be the same, so she could finally apologize and make things normal again. Only when Harry never showed up to get her from work, she knew that today wouldn't be a good day. Harry always picked her up, even if they were angry at each other. She was left to walk home in the cold. She didn't mind, but she wished Harry had picked her up so she could hold his hand and listen to music with him while they drove back home.

Annabelle opened the unlocked door and set her purse on the table, sliding her shoes off and her jacket. She walked into the kitchen to start dinner, but stopped in her tracks when she ran into Harry. He held a beer bottle in his hand and his hair was messy, as if he'd been messing with it all day. Annabelle touched his arm, giving him a concerned look, and his dull eyes closed as he sighed.

"Sorry I didn't pick you up." His words were short and made Annabelle even more worried. She nodded, and took a step away from him. He didn't seem drunk, but she had no idea, she'd only seen him drunk once before, and that was a very dramatic and horrible night for him.

Harry lifted the bottle to his lips, sipping the last bit of the liquid, and then tossed the empty bottle into the trash. Annabelle watched as he trudged out of the kitchen, going straight to his bedroom and closing the door. She felt as if he wanted space, so she began cooking dinner. She had taken a shower while the pizza was in the oven, and she almost burned her fingers when she took it out and sat it on the stove to cool. Walking to the bedroom, Annabelle knocked, receiving no answer. She turned the knob, and the door had opened to reveal Harry with red eyes and chapped lips.

"Do you love me?" Harry's voice was bumpy as he spoke.
"Because I love you, and I can't take the thought of you not loving me back." Harry sniffed and Annabelle's eyes were wide, her lips slightly parted. She couldn't stand seeing him look so sad, and she wanted to do anything she could to fix him.

Annabelle nodded quickly and Harry blinked, making tears run down his pink cheeks. Annabelle loved this man to death, and she had to make let him know that before it was too late. He turned around and walked back to the bed, sitting on the edge of the mattress with his back facing Annabelle. She followed him slowly, her heart breaking at his small cries and the way he looked such a mess with his face hidden in his hands and body slouched over. She knelt down, taking his hands in hers to reveal his pouted lips and wet cheeks.

"I keep messing up, Annabelle." Harry's words were choked and heavy, and Annabelle stood up, keeping her eyes on his, and holding his hands tightly. Harry began letting out tiny sobs as he pulled Annabelle's body closer and nuzzled his face in her chest. His arms held her tightly and her fingers found his curls. He cried onto her chest, a few gasps coming from his lips when his cries lightened up.

Annabelle kissed the top of Harry's head and moved her fingers to hold his chin and make him look up. She wiped his tears away, even though fresh tears slowly escaped his eyes, and held his cheeks. Harry's eyes were dull and pained, as if he'd been struggling with whatever was wrong with him for a long time; as if he was so drained that he didn't want to do anything except cry. Annabelle recognized the look in his eyes, and she hated that he was feeling so badly.

Annabelle backed away from him and lightly pushed his chest back while pointing at the headboard. He understood and moved to sit with his back against the wood and his legs stretched out in front of him. She held up a finger to signal she would return in just a moment, and she stuck to her word. She returned with her notebook and a black pen.

Harry's eyes followed her as she climbed on the bed and waddled on her knees until she was beside him, then moved her leg over his lap and sat down between his thighs. Harry's cheeks were beginning to dry and his eyes were still red and puffy as he watched Annabelle give him a smile. She looked down and began scribbling, her lips pursing. She took Harry's hand and opened it, handing him the book.

What happened?

Harry squinted after reading the words, feeling tears prickling at his eyes. He licked his lips and looked up at Annabelle, seeing that she had a concerned look, but changed it into a small smile in hopes of cheering him up.

"My mum," Harry cleared his throat, "She turned me away. I went to see her, but she wouldn't even let me past the doormat." Annabelle frowned at his words that held a sad tone. She nodded very lightly, urging him to continue talking. He swallowed again, before opening his mouth.

"I haven't been very nice to you. You've been ignoring me for days, and now that you see me crying, you think you can just give me attention and I'll instantly feel better?" Harry's eyes narrowed and salty tears began forming. Annabelle's lips parted in surprise, but she shook her head and backed away from Harry. Maybe he needed space, maybe he just wanted to be alone.

Annabelle sat on the bed after moving away from him and began writing. She felt as if she had poured her heart into this small letter, and she hoped so much that Harry would understand and forgive her. She apologized for ignoring him, for always being so sensitive. She told him how much she loved him, and how happy he had always seemed to make her. She handed him the note and left the room, allowing him more space as she closed the door behind her and walked back into the kitchen. She stared at the now cold pizza, her stomach turning and her  appetite diminishing as she closed her eyes and pictured a crying Harry, all alone, with no one holding him or caring for him.

Only moments later, she heard the bedroom door squeak open, then slam shut. Hesitantly, she walked out of the kitchen and stood beside the table. Harry stood a few feet in front of her, near the living room, and held the paper tightly in his hand, slightly crunching the corner. His cheeks were still red and his eyes still puffy, and he was crying once more.

"What is this?" Harry took a deep breath and Annabelle lost all of the air in her lungs. "You think you can write me something like this, and not stay while I read it? Do you really think I could dare to stay away from you when I'm a mess, and just found out that you love me?" Harry's voice held an edge, but it wasn't intimidating. His words made Annabelle's heart swell in some odd way, and she fiddled with her fingers as she stared at Harry with wide eyes.

"C'mere." Harry's tone softened and his arms opened. Annabelle wasted no time as she rushed to him and wrapped her arms around his shoulders. She stood on her tip-toes, feeling her feet leave the ground as Harry's arms held her waist. Harry's wet face was tucked in Annabelle's neck as he slowly rocked their bodies side to side. Harry felt the horrible feelings leaving him the longer he held this girl close to him, and he really didn't want to ever let go.

He had to let go, though. He sat her back down on her feet and she moved closer again, this time wrapping her arms around his torso and resting her head on his warm chest. She breathed in the familiar scent and felt at home, she felt like the world was on her side today.

Annabelle made Harry take a warm shower, telling him it would calm him down and help his tense muscles. He agreed and took a thirty-minute shower, only to enter the bedroom in only his underwear and see Annabelle sitting on the bed in just Harry's t-shirt and her underwear. He didn't care if his hair was still wet or his body still felt slightly damp, he crawled into bed and pulled Annabelle close. He laid his head on her chest and closed his eyes, feeling peaceful and at home.

Annabelle sat up again, making Harry's eyes open and his head tilt back so he could see what she were doing. Annabelle caught Harry's lips in hers, making him hum and nod gently as he turned his body so he could access her lips better. He pushed her body back down, making her head lay on the pillow and he laid on top of her. She didn't care that his large body was squishing her, she just wanted to feel close to the goof that she was in love with. Annabelle lost her breath after a few more kisses, and pulled her lips away from his.

"Huh uh," Harry's fingers moved to hold Annabelle's chin. "Please don't stop kissing me." Harry's lips found hers again, working them slowly and mumbling another word that sent her heart to cloud nine. "Ever."