Chapter 71

Harry tried to fix things between him and Annabelle. He tried making her breakfast, he still drove her to a from work, he let her watch her favorite shows when she was home, and he didn't push her too much. He gave her space, for three days, he's done nothing but tiptoe around her feelings, because he felt guilty. He felt so hopeless.

"Um, Annabelle," Harry quietly got her attention. She looked up at him from her seat on the couch. "I'm really sorry." He quietly admitted, shuffling his left foot behind his right foot, his hands in his pockets.

"I can explain, if you want me to, but I'm sorry. I won't lie to you again. It was stupid of me." Harry looked down at his feet, and when he felt two small arms wrap around his waist, his heartbeat sped up. He quickly wrapped his arms around her, lifting her up. Her legs wrapped around his waist and her arms around his shoulders.

"I missed you." Harry breathed out as he buried his nose closer to her neck. He missed holding her so much, even though it had only been a few days. He kissed her jaw twice, and then set her down.

The next few hours, Harry and Annabelle sat together, but Annabelle still held her distance. She held Harry's hand, but she wouldn't cuddle with him. She let Harry kiss her everywhere except her lips, and she felt the need to keep her walls up for a bit longer, just in case.

As Annabelle got up to begin fixing dinner, a knock sounded from the front door, and Harry told her that he would answer it. He told her that it isn't safe for her to answer the door, because it could be a stranger. Only this time, it wasn't exactly a stranger.

"Hi, Alice." Harry spoke, a polite smile on his face as he opened the door wider.

"Hi, Harry." Alice opened her arms for a hug, and Harry awkwardly hugged her. Annabelle stood in the kitchen, chopping vegetables and listening to their conversation.

"Would you like to come in? Annabelle is just fixing dinner." Harry offered and of course, Alice accepted. Annabelle continued fixing food, and eavesdropping on their conversation. She listened to them talk about music, and simple things that they could both relate to.

"The reason I showed up here, Harry, was to see why you hadn't called me or anything. I just wanted to check up on you, make sure you were doing alright and settling into your new place well." Alice's words were kind and Annabelle walked to the doorway of the kitchen, watching Harry respond.

"I'm doing well, yeah, I'm sorry for not getting back to you. I um, sort of lost your number." Harry lied, and Annabelle wasn't surprised at all. She shook her head, crossing her arms and leaning against the doorframe.

"Oh, that's alright. I could just write it down for you again." Alice smiled at Harry. Annabelle's eyes squinted as she continued watching them, already feeling herself want to punch Harry.

"Well, at least someone doesn't hold a grudge over small things." Harry mumbled, looking up and seeing Annabelle with an almost shocked look, but she also had a look on her face that said, of course you would say something like that, right after I had forgiven you.

Alice laughed light, "What do you mean?"

That's when Annabelle decided to set the table. She grabbed three plates, sitting only two of them on the table in front of Harry and Alice. She kept hers in the kitchen, and after the pasta she had fixed was ready, she took it to the table and sat the steaming pot in front of them so they could help themselves.

"You're Annabelle?" Alice let out a small gasp, a light in her eyes that seemed so kind. Annabelle nodded, giving a smile to the polite and friendly girl in front of her. "Oh, I wish I would have known that sooner! You're absolutely beautiful, just how Harry described you." Alice stood up and wrapped her arms around Annabelle in a hug.

"You've met?" Harry's voice interrupted Alice's sweet gesture, making her nod quickly and smile bigger.

"At the park a few days ago. Annabelle was all alone, so I sat with her for a few minutes, until she ran off." Alice patted Annabelle's arm and sat back down. Annabelle could feel Harry's eyes on her, but she ignored them, and returned back to the kitchen to eat her dinner alone.

Annabelle cleaned their plates when they had finished eating, and Alice tried to help her, she had offered many times to help, but Annabelle only smiled and shook her head. Alice complimented the meal and told Annabelle it was amazing, and that they would have to have dinner together more often. Annabelle agreed, but only so Alice would leave the kitchen- and hopefully Harry's apartment. Annabelle adored Alice, really, but she couldn't stop the jealousy that coursed through her when Alice would make Harry laugh, or talk to him about his family, or high school. It was Annabelle's job to make him laugh and know everything about his personal life, and she had been working so hard on doing that lately, until Harry had to open his pretty mouth and get himself into trouble again.

"Have a good night." Harry hugged Alice and opened the door for her, bidding a goodbye as she waved at him and then shouted a goodbye to Annabelle, because Annabelle was still hiding in the kitchen.

Harry walked into the small room to see Annabelle sitting on the counter, staring down at her dangling feet. He knew he had already lost her forgiveness after making a rude remark like he did. He honestly didn't know what was wrong with him, he just always found himself messing up by not thinking before he'd speak or act. It was beginning to be a problem, and he noticed that.

"Thank you for dinner." Harry stood in front of Annabelle's knees, placing his hands on her legs. "I'm sorry she stayed so long, she just likes to talk."

Annabelle nodded and moved the get off of the counter, only to be stopped by Harry's hand holding her wrist. He turned her around, giving her a hopeful look, but she shot it down quickly by pulling her wrist towards her body and shaking her head, her eyes darting down to the floor and her feet carrying her into Harry's bedroom to change for bed.