Time to Talk

Lassitude ~44

Shawn Mendes' pov

"Peter? I ask quietly. I look towards Cam, who sat on the couch patiently waiting to continue our conversation. Grace called my phone and asked Eva to hand my phone over to me.

"I know you're busy," he says sadly on the other end. "You don't have to talk to me." My heartaches, because I've made him upset. I don't want to hurt his feelings or leave a bad impression on him.

"Of course I want to talk you Peter. It's not like that."

"Then how come you left me yesterday without saying goodbye? You made it seem like I was born by an accident."

"Well..." Cam shakes his head no, not to think about going there. "No... you weren't exactly planned for that exact time to be born. Your mom and I planned to have a baby in the near future. I didn't know she had you when I left."

"Oh." It's quite for a few minutes before he spoke again. "Am I going to see you again?"

"Of course you are. I still want to get to know you and spend time with you. I'm not leaving anytime soon," I say softly. "Maybe I can see you tomorrow after I talk to your mom. You can spend a night with me if you'd like."

"Can Ryan and Grace spend the night with us too?" I look towards Cam. I'm not hundred percent sure why I'm looking at him when I should be asking my sister. Cameron nods.

"Of course they can. I'll talk to you later alright?"

"Okay. I'll see you later dad."

"I love you Peter."

"I love you more." Peter hangs up and I lock my phone. I bite my lip nervously before looking at Cam. He doesn't look so well, but it's probably from last night. "I still can't believe you kept Peter a secret for so many years. You of all people should have known Cam."

"I'm really sorry. Claire opened up to me about Peter because she wanted no one else to find out. You have to see why this is hard for her."

"What if Ri kept your son away from you all of these years before you got back together?"

"She did. Except he isn't alive. I can't be mad at her for that, because of all the things she went through alone. I wish I was there was with her, but I made mistakes. You have to talk to Claire and solve things."

"I can say the same for you Cam. You really need to turn everything around. You've made my sister unhappy." I watch as Cams head fall so he's looking down.

"I-I did terrible things yesterday and even before that."

"I know you kicked me out of the house and maybe argued with my sister, but I don't think it's too terrible. You can fix this." Cameron brings his hands to his face and I watch as he silently weeps. He's like this for a few minutes.

"It's more than that. I don't think I can fix this."

"Of course you can fix this Cam. My sister loves you and you're her everything." He pulls his face away and I see how flushed his face is. He reaches for his jacket pocket and an envelope appears in his hand as he hands it over to me.

"This is for Ri," he says upset.

"I thought you were going to see her?" I ask confusingly. I slowly take the envelope. He shakes his head disappointedly.

"I don't think I should. I-I um think I may be sick." I start to worry because Cameron seems afraid himself. What does he mean by sick?

"Maybe you should talk to Ri about it? You know how she worries about you." He looks down guiltily as he takes something from his pocket.