Nervous

Lassitude ~13

Riley Dallas' pov

~Memory~

"H-hey Jack, G, Sam," I say softly as I walked up to them. They look away from the tv. G and Sam gives me a frown and G sighs.

"What do you want?" Sam says. I have the first draft to a book I have typed out. I didn't know who to ask.

"You're so annoying," G says. "Why can't you leave us alone?"

"I-I was wondering if you could read something for me?" I ask quietly. I take the draft from behind me so it is in their sight. G takes the draft from my hands and flips through it.

"What is this garbage?" Sam asks as G shows it to him and I look down at my feet. "You wrote this?" He laughs. "Yeah, there's no way you'd ever be published for anything."

"I-I worked really hard," I say quietly feeling self conscious. G used to read some of the short stories I used to write in elementary school and middle school.

"I would never waste all of my time to read this," G says. "What made you ever think I'd ever take the time to read this crap?" Sam takes the draft and tosses it as it lands in the fire place and I bite my lip.

"Looks so much better in there," Sam smiles and I look at my draft starting to whither away. "Go away worthless." Tears brims my eyes and I look at my brother feeling disappointed he didn't defend me. Johnson doesn't say anything as he looks away guilty. I turn around and walk up the stairs to my room.

~end of memory~

"Riley?" I look up from my laptop to see Mia, Sam's wife, standing just outside the office door.

"Mia," I breathe shakily. "Hello." Mia is very pretty and she seems really nice. Her kids are also very friendly, but it's really hard to see that in Sam.

"Can I come in?" I nod as she slowly makes her way over to me and takes a seat in front of my desks. "I... know you had no idea about Sam and I coming with kids. I want to apologize. I'm really sorry for intruding."

"Mia, you're fine," I half smile. "Its Sam... we've never actually liked each other and I'm slightly worried."

"I can talk to my husband. Whatever he has done in the past I'm sorry."

"It's not your fault."

"If we're intruding, we can stay at a h-"

"No, need." I shake my head. "You're welcome here. I'll be fine. I'm just a little surprised from today."

"Today?" She asks in wonder with a small smile. "Surprised about something else?" For some odd reason I smile and feel my cheeks warming. I feel happy and calm with Mia. It's like a natural feeling.

"You could say that."

"How far along are you?"

"You can tell," I say lightly.

"I've had two kids Riley," she laughs lightly. "I remember when Sam found out the second time around and he was clueless as ever. Our Ava was just one turning two when we found out we were going to have our second. Sam was hoping for a boy, but he's really happy to have another girl as well."

"I'm eleven weeks today. Cam and I found out the gender," I say shyly. Mia stands and comes around to hug me.

"That's great! Congratulations Riley! I'm happy for you!" I hug back.

"Thank you Mia. You're so supporting."

"It's exciting news! I'm guessing you're waiting for a certain time to tell everyone?"