Not My Morning

Lassitude ~9

Grace Dallas' pov

My dad has never yelled at me like that. I look at myself in the mirror as I brush my hair getting ready for school. I look tired and upset with myself for letting my dad down.

For once he is home and I made him mad. He doesn't understand that I don't like Claire. Why does he bring her here? He has never raised his voice at me like that before and it upsets me, because has he told once when he was going to adopt me that he'd never raise his voice at me, but to always find a way to solve the problem.

I'm used to being his favorite and never having a problem. I was more shaken and surprised at his words. I remember the days back when I wasn't adopted. I remember I would be told how my parents left Ryan and I because they never wanted us. That they were always annoyed with us.

What if I upset my dad now and he doesn't want me anymore? How do I talk to him without being afraid to know the answers?

Maybe I can avoid him?

I remember last night when he came into my room and took away my phone and my laptop. He told me that it was wrong to be rude to Claire and to watch my mouth next time.

After he had left, I cried myself more to sleep. I don't know where my mom was, but he probably told her what I said or was going to say.

I sigh to myself as I put my brush down and make my way back into my bedroom. I pack some of my school essentials into my bag and make sure to have all of my assignments. I then grab my viola before walking out of my room.

Immediately I smell breakfast and my stomach grumbles. I walk past the first set of stairs and walk the hall a little longer until I reach the set of stairs that led to the kitchen. When I reach midway down the stairs before turning the next set of stairs, I stop to listen.

"Cameron!" I hear my mom in a stern, but also in a playful tone. "You're cleaning this up." I hear multiple laughters and I bite my bottom lip nervously.

After a moment, I walk down the rest of the stairs into the kitchen where I see my family and Natalia. Ryan is the first to see me and he gives me a small smile. I send a small smile back. My mom notices me by the stairs and smiles.

"Good morning Grace," My mom says to me. Everyone turns to me and I gave a small wave before looking towards my dad. I watched as his smile disappears and I couldn't help, but to think I am the reason.

"Dad made Bacon and eggs Gracie. Do you want some?" Ryan asks me.

"Sure," I answer softly.

"I have to make more," my dad says and he turns away making Natalia gives me an apologetic look. I look down as I feel awkward that he doesn't exactly greet me like everyone else has. There's a different tone in his voice.

"It's okay... I could grab something on my way to school."

"You don't want to spend some time with your dad before you go?" My mom asks surprisingly. "He can drop the both of you off today."

"I'm fine. I can walk." My dad turns towards me and I quickly turn around to walk out of the kitchen.

"Gracie..." I hear Ryan call out to me, but I ignore him and open the front door to leave before anyone can come after me. I sigh to myself feeling down as I make my way down the street.

Just a couple of streets over, Cooper lives. As I am approaching the house, I hope to myself that my mom isn't panicking, because I just walked out of the house. As I approach the door, I turn the knob and walk right into to the familiar scent of breakfast being made.

"Gracie, is that you?" Mr.Felton is calling out. I walk into the kitchen to see Mr. And Mrs.Felton in the kitchen. Mrs. Felton is making pancakes and Mr.Felton is looking reading a book.

"It's me," I faintly smile. "Hi Mrs.Felton."

"Goodmorning Grace, How is your family doing?"

"They're doing alright."

"That's good to hear. Did you eat? You can have some pancakes if you'd like."

"Thanks Mrs.Felton." Tom looks up from his book and smiles.

"She made chocolate chip today," he says. I put my viola and bag down and walk towards the table.

One of my favorites.

I take a seat seat across from Tom as he gets up to make me a plate of pancakes. He comes back moments later with everything cut and hands me the syrup.

"Thank you."

"You're welcome. Coop should be coming down sometime soon. He just came back from a morning jog not too long ago." I nod as I begin to eat.

I look around and take a look at my familiar surrounding. Mr.Felton, known as Tom is very close friends with my parents. He is an actor like my dad and also loves doing music on the side. He has taught me to play the piano and the guitar.

I remember when we spent the weekend we had a Harry Potter marathon. My mom is a huge fan. Tom would always act out his role as Draco Malfoy and I would be astonished of his character. He seemed like a really cool character and it's really cool to know him. I'm pretty sure my mom had a crush on Tom before.

I've met a lot of actors, actresses and authors because of my parents and their friends. I am very fortunate to meet some of my favorite authors, because my mom has connections with many of them. I get to experience many things that many can say they've done.

I feel lucky.

I take the last bite of my pancake and smile to myself of the deliciousness I've had. I've been here maybe ten minutes.

"I think Coop is calling you upstairs," Tom says to me. I look up from my plate to see him with a small smile. I nod and thank the both of them for breakfast before making my way for the stairs. I make my way up and go down the hall and knock on Cooper's door before I walk in.

Cooper looks away from his dresser and I see him with a towel wrapped around his waist. His hair is still dripping from water still. He smiles at me and waves before turning back to his dresser.

"Hey Gracie," he greets.

"Hey." He grabs a white shirt before grabbing his uniform and walking right into his bathroom.

"Are you alright?"

"Why do you ask?" I hear shuffling going on the bathroom and he comes out with his dress pants on and is buttoning his shirt.

"Ryan texted me. He wanted to know if you came here."

"Oh."

"Grace... You scared your mom and your dad is mad for leaving."

"He started it," I sigh. "I couldn't be there."

"But-"

"He doesn't understand how upset I am and how embarrassing that was. Why does he ground me when I haven't done anything so bad? I know I shouldn't be acting against him, but he hasn't been there lately," I sigh.

I slowly make my way over to his bed and sat down as he comes over to take a seat beside me. He wraps an arm around me and I lean my head against his shoulder.

"Grace, you should probably go back." I bit my lip and thought of last night in my room. My eyes burn slightly as I feel myself become emotionally a mess from my negative thoughts.

My dad likes Claire more than me. He always backs her up. A few tears slip through. I wipe my eyes quickly and Cooper immediately has me sit up so he can take a look at me.

"You're crying..."

"I don't want to go back right now Coop. I really would like to go on with my day." I notice the worry in Coopers expression and he nods. He looks down at his phone.

"Let me text your brother. I'll take you to school."

"Thank you," I say quietly.