Special Day

Lassitude ~24

Ryan Dallas' pov

"Happy birthday baby boy," My mom says to me as I walk into the kitchen where Natalia is prepping for breakfast. My mom and aunt Caitlyn are sitting on the stools.

"Thanks mom," I half smile.

"Happy birthday Ry," Aunt Caitlyn smiles.

"Thank you aunt Caitlyn."

"You're up quite early," My mom laughs lightly. "I didn't think you'd be awake for another two hours." I look for the clock and read seven-thirty in the morning. I don't think anyone else would be quite up yet.

"I couldn't sleep," I shrug. "Is Gracie here?" I've wondered if she'd come home at some point. I didn't see her after the game yesterday, nor at the small celebration.

"No, she's... with G and your uncle Shawn today," My mom smiles sadly referring to yesterday. "We can see her if you'd like later tonight."

"Tonight?" I ask disappointed. "I won't be able to spend the whole day with her?" My aunt Caitlyn looks at my mom worried and she looks down.

"I'm sorry Ryan."

"But that's really unfair. I've spent every birthday with her and I miss her. Why is dad being a boofhead?"

"Ryan," my mother says sternly.

"What? He's the reason why Grace isn't here. It's our special day and to know dad is punishing Grace for mistakes she didn't mean to do."

"What do you want me to do then Ryan?" My mom asks weakly and slightly frustrated. "I've tried everything and nothing will fix anything. He's not even here right now and there are so many things already going on. I don't know what to do. I'm stressed enough Ryan."

"Mom," I say quietly.

"What?!" She asks with her voice raising and my eyes widens. She looks towards me with a shocking expression on her face. "I-I didn't mean to yell at you. I'm sorry Ryan." I take my bottom lip and chew on it slightly.

"I'll... just stay in my room until the party starts," I say quietly and turn away.

"Ryan..." My mom calls out guiltily, but I shake my head as I begin to walk up the stairs. I take my phone out, but then remember that Grace doesn't have her phone. She hasn't had it since Thursday. If she's with G and uncle Shawn, I can talk to her. At least greet her a happy birthday. I walk into my bedroom and straight for the balcony so I don't wake Cooper.

Uncle Shawn is under favorites and so I bring my phone to my ear and wait for him to answer.

"Happy birthday Ryan! It's great to be hearing from you," I hear my uncle Shawn greet from the other end.

"Thank you uncle Shawn," I half smile.

"You're up really early. Is everything okay?"

"I was actually wondering about Grace. Is she doing okay? How is she?"

"She's... sort of down right now. G and I are hoping to help her feel better for at least today the best we can. She really misses you and your mother"