Niece and Goddaughter

Lassitude ~16

Grace Dallas' pov

I guess dad really meant I'm going straight to my room when we get home. Currently I am in the car with my dad heading back towards the house. It's complete silence.

I'm actually missing rehearsal tonight. Am I allowed to do that? Did dad at least call them that I'm not going? I'm going to loose my first chair spot. What if I did chores around the house to ease the punishments of being grounded?

"Dad?" I ask lightly.

"What?" He sighs tiredly.

"Can I please go to rehearsals tonight?"

"No."

"I have perfect attendance and I'm the section leader in my section."

"Fine, but I'm not going to take you and watch you. Hope you find someone else to take you," he says quite harshly as we turn onto our street. He doesn't want to watch me? I lookout the window towards my side trying to keep myself together.

"I like when you watch rehearsals dad," I gulp a lump from my throat. He turns into the driveway and parks before he turns towards me with a cold stare. It scares me honestly.

"You're lucky I'm letting you go to rehearsals. I wouldn't want to watch you after the stunts you pulled today and last night." There, he said it. I take my seat belt off and quickly rush to get my bag and viola out before rushing towards the side of the house.

The smell of dinner fills the air and I can hear many laughter from the other room. Instead of going to the living room to greet everyone, I rush up the stairs in tears wanting to be alone for awhile. Everyone down there is happy.

I make my way down the hall and go into my room and place everything by my desk before making my way over to my bed. I pick up the stuffed tiger and hug it tightly. This is the first thing dad bought for me at the airport the day Ryan and I was adopted.

Does dad hate me? I ask myself as tears began to really flow down my cheeks. Does he not love me anymore? I take a pause feeling my chest ache with pain. I feel like I've become a big disappointment to him. Why would he say things like he would want to watch me rehearse? I feel really hurt he says these things to me. I cry hugging my stuffed tiger more. I feel like he wants me to be perfect, but I make mistakes and he makes me feel like I'm alone.

I sniffle now wishing there was someone here to be with me to give me hugs and tell me none of the things I'm thinking is true. Ryan and dad were always there to help me through a situation. Now I don't have them.

There's a knock to my door and I wipe my face as the lights come on. I sniffle as I look up to see uncle Shawn and G. It takes them a moment to process what's going on before they rush over to me. I hug the both of them, because I really needed a hug right now. They both return the favor and they both kiss the side of my head. Once they pull away, they look worried.

"You're in pain Gracie," Uncle Shawn says painfully. "Did someone say something to you?" I nod as I wipe my face again.

"Was it a boy from school?" G asks sternly. "I'll make sure he doesn't say anything to you ever again."

"N-no," I croak. I ask them the question that's been running through my mind the past twenty-four hours. With everything going on, I feel like I'm being unloved greatly. "D-does my dad not love me anymore?" Both uncle Shawn and G looks at each other before looking at me.

"Of course he loves you," uncle Shawn says softly and takes my hand. "He loves you unconditionally." I shake my head and G frowns slightly.

"Grace, you're his daughter," G says. "He loves you no matter what. Did he do or say something to make you feel this way?" I nod and they both look towards each other again.

"Claire was trying to be nice for once and I guess I was being rude and dad wanted me to apologize. I told him no, because she was annoying me. He just yelled at me and grounded me taking my phone and laptop away from me for the week. Then the next morning, he ignored me while making breakfast and I felt so excluded. Then at school I had to serve detention."

"What?" G asks with his eyes wide.

"I-I didn't mean to. I was tired from crying myself to sleep most of last night and I talked back to one of my professeurs. I was just so tired and shaken from last night and I accidently pushed Ryan away and now Cooper probably doesn't like me," I cry into my hands. "Dad was going to keep me from rehearsal and going to my private lessons."

"That he can not do," they both say at the same time.

"He's letting me go if someone takes me," I say sighing. "He said he wouldn't want to see me after all the stunts I pulled yesterday and today. I'm grounded the whole break now. I don't get why my dad wants me to get along with Claire. I don't like her."

Uncle Shawn stiffens again I notice and G looks towards him. I look between the two before they look towards me.

"It's funny how we were both on the same boat before," G says slowly. Uncle Shawn glares at him.

"Do not bring back what happened then," Uncle Shawn says.

"Claire loved you."

"Don't," Uncle Shawn frowns. "We're not bringing this up.

"Y-you and Claire were together before?" I ask softly. Uncle Shawn puts a hand through his hair.

"Yes, but it was a very long time ago. I prefer not to talk about it. Your uncle Jack is her cousin and doesn't quite forgive me for breaking up with her the way I did." I only nod gathering this new information.

"Anyway..." G says slowly. "How about the two of us take you to your rehearsal tonight? Then your private lesson after and maybe the three of us can get some ice cream since you've had a long day?"

"Really?" I smile faintly.

"Yes, really," Uncle Shawn smiles. "I'd like to spend some quality time with my niece I have seen in over a little year. We're baking muffins this weekend."

"But my dad..." I say worriedly.

"Don't worry about him," G says and rubs my back. "We're going to speak with him. Especially since this is your birthday weekend. We didn't come here to not spend anytime with you. That really is not fair to you and to know your dad made you feel this way." He frowns slightly and relaxes once he a looks at me. "Plus, you're my goddaughter. It's my job to make you happy and spoil you."

"Also my job," Shawn chuckles.

"I love you guys," I say gently.

"We love you too," G says softly.

"Love you Gracie," Uncle Shawn smiles and I hug the both of them feeling the reassurance that I'm being cared for.

~

I'm really enjoying writing this story 💕

Next update: Monday