Interesting Morning

Lassitude ~25

Cameron Dallas' pov

"Where the hell are you?" Nash demands as I pay for the food at the cash register in the cafe. I then start to make my way back up to the room.

"Is Riley alright?" I ask worriedly feeling guilty that I haven't been answering her.

"She's bugging out wondering where you are. Why are you scaring your wife like this? You need to call her or something."

"I'm sorry," I apologize. "It's... a long story. I can't go into detail and she'll kill me if she knows what's going on."

"Well what is going on? At least tell me you're alright."

"I'm fine... I had to be somewhere. Nash, I can't tell you. I promise I'll be home in about an hour or two."

"You left Ri, stressed and confused all night. She's not going to be happy when you get home."

"I'll deal with that when I get home. Tell her, I'm alright and I'll be home as soon as I can. I promise, I will make it up to her."

"Good luck with that," Nash mumbles before he hangs up and I groan frustrated. I make my way to the floor where Peter is and walk the halls before entering his room.

Peter looks away from his book as I approach him and hand him the food I bought for him. I know he must be hungry after a long night.

"Thank you Cam," Peter says politely to me with a tired smile.

"No problem bud," I say with a small smile and sat down on a chair. I watch as my godson begins to eat before I look over to see Claire and Jack fast asleep on the couch.

We are currently in the hospital room with Peter since he is on recovery. We were able to see him around two this morning. It turns out he fractured a section in his fibula and will be out of competitive swimming and ice hockey for eight to ten weeks.

Jack and I decided it was best if we stayed with Claire until everything settled down. She was panicking and she has been worried. We know she doesn't have anyone to lean onto for support and so Jack and I try to be there for her and Peter when we can.

"Isn't it Ryan's and Grace's birthday today?" Peter looks towards me.

"Yes," I nod tiredly and look at Peter who has a confused look.

"Aren't you going to celebrate with them?"

"I will," I half smile. "I'm going to head back to the house to spend the day with Ryan..." I pause thinking about Grace. Instantly, I think how much I'm disappointed in her. She should know that she can't get away with everything. I feel like she should know better.

"How come you're not spending time with Grace?" Peter asks confusingly. I sigh not sure how to explain to him that there's a lot going on with my mind and the lack of sleep has been getting to me.

"I'm sort of mad at her at the moment. Sort of trying to teach her something..." I pause thinking about the past few days. There are some things maybe I was harsh towards her. A part of me is mad at her, because she has never given Claire a chance or the fact that she's talking back in class. The amount of weight for stress for me seems high.

"But... it's her birthday," Peter says worriedly. "She's probably really sad that she doesn't have her dad spending time on her special day. I feel like that sometimes." Peter looks towards his mother and I also look towards Claire. I wish Claire would let him meet his father. He deserves to know about him, but I've respected Claire's decisions.

"Yeah," I sigh. "I feel like I've let her down."

"You have to go spend time with her. She misses you." She's probably scared of me now.