Chapter 40

9:00AM March 18, 1956 Kennedy Residence

Jackie bounced Bella on her leg as she waited for the phone to answer. She was going to tell Jack about her morning sickness and warn him to get good night sleep for the few days he had left before he came back to wake at 4:00AM every morning.

Jack picked up after three rings,"Hello? Senator John F. Kennedy here, how may I help you?"

"Jack, it's Jackie." Jackie told the phone.

Bella gurgled as she heard her father's barely recoganizable voice coming from the reciever.

"Hello my beautiful Bouviers." Jack said.

"I have to go to a meeting soon Kid, so could you make this pretty speedy?"

Jackie sighed, one of these days she WOULD pull Jack out of his constant travels for politics.

"Yes Jack. Just wanted to let you know the morning sickness started."

She could hear Jack wince,"Ouch. How was it this morning?"

"Terrible." Jackie said.

Jackie generally didn't complain. But she was willing this time.

March 18, 1956 9:10AM Kennedy Residence

Jackie sighed as she finished her brief conversation with Jack. As she put the reciever down Bella reached for it and frowned at Jackie as if it were her fault Jack was going to a meeting.

"What?" Jackie asked.

Bella stuck her tongue out at her.

An hour later mother and daughter were in the living room, doors and windows closed with Jackie ready to open Luna the bird's cage door.

Bella poked her fingers in Luna's cage. Jackie tried to pull them back but Luna didn't seem to mind much.

Jackie opened the cage door and the bird went soaring out and into the air before she landed on Jackie's shoulder.
Bella looked at the bird with wide eyes but unlike most babies made no attempt to grab its feathers or anything.

Bella appeared to study the bird carefully.

Jackie watched her daughter curiously as she observed the bird.

Luna appeared to like Bella and slowly and uneasily flew the short length over to her and landed on her shoulder.

Bella grinned up at Jackie.