Chapter 23

March 10, 1956

Jackie yawned as she woke. She had had her first good night's sleep for a long time. Bella hadn't woken up since she was put in the crib, Jackie mentally made a note in her head to ask about what the mattresses were made of.

Jack who was beside her still wasn't up.

Jackie checked the time, no wonder it was 4:00am. She wondered what had awoken her from her sleep.

If Bella hadn't been woken she must not have been very tired or something.

Jackie sat up and stretched, Jack stirred from beside her but didn't wake.

Jackie listened for a moment for a anything that could have woken her.

She saw it before she heard it. A small bird was running continuously at her window.

Jackie frowned, and walked over to the window. The bird was one she didn't recognize, it's not like she studied birds anyway.

Jackie saw the bird had a bad injury on it's wing, some bird of predator was overhead.

Jackie sighed, nature was taking it's course.

But her heart went out for the little bird, so when the big bird was diving Jackie opened the window and allowed the little one in.

The small bird collapsed onto a table and the predator bird, Jackie saw in the corner of her eye, appeared to scowl at her before it flew away.

Jackie examined the small bird and sighed, this would be some work.

She knew unless she brought this to a vetrinarian soon the bird would die, so, with a sigh she scribbled a note in case Jack woke up, set it on his face (he wouldn't notice it was there if it wasn't on his face), and went walked out of the hotel room.

The bird Jackie saw: