Chapter 32

March 13, 1956

It was true, Janet was making her disgusting lemon cookies which she always overcooked and added no sugar to.

Jackie's nose wrinkled at the smell of burning lemon, Bella clapsed a chubby hand over her nose in an effort to block out the smell. Jackie gave a small chuckle.

She took a deep breath before she entered the kitchen and called softly,"Mother?"

Nothing.

She called again, louder,"Mother?"

This time Janet came walking out of another room, a disgruntled look on her face, and she saw Jackie.

"Oh, Jackie. What are you doing here?" she asked.

"And why are you babysitting, I thought John Kennedy had enough money for you not to take care of disgusting babies, that one couldn't be more ugly. I told you not to marry him."

Jackie felt anger build up inside her, she clenched her fist then unclenched it before she said to her mother,"Mother, I am not babysitting and I don't regret for a second marrying Jack."

"I really find that doubtful. If you arn't babysitting what are you doing? I bet you're here because you want me to take you in again. Well it's not happening."

"Mother!" Jackie yelled.

Janet turned around and faced her furious daughter.

"I didn't want to come here but I thought you had the right to know."

"Know what? That you're divorcing John Kennedy?"

Jackie took a deep breath,"No. That the child that is in my arms is your grandaughter!"

Janet stopped what she was doing, the plate of lemon cookies in her hand dropped to the floor.

"What?"

"Her name is Arabella, and it means beautiful not UGLY like you are saying she is. Jack came up with the name. And I thought that for once you would give me some respect!" Jackie felt tears brimming her eyes.

"But obviously not! You've insulted my husband and my child and myself!" with that Jackie ran out of the kitchen, past a concerned Janet and into the cab.

"Drive me back to the hotel, fast, I'll pay you an extra hundred dollars."

The cab driver needed to know nothing else so he sped out of the driveway and Jackie ignored her yelling mother,"Jackie wait!"

She knew this had been a bad idea.

And with that thought she burst into tears into Bella's dress.