--------

"Ebony, we are leaving in two hours," Jake called through the wooden door of the bedroom. "We need to get out of here fast."

I hadn't left the bedroom since Carter yelled at me. I also hadn't seen him all night.

I ran to the door and opened it. "Jake, what is going on? Where is Carter?"

"I don't know, he's been missing for hours now, but we can't wait anymore. We need to get out of here. Callan is coming with us." Jake walked away, running his hands through his hair.

The thought of Callan alone right now made me feel sick to my stomach, so I ran down the hallway to Callan's room and knocked. "Callan, can I come in?"'

The door slowly creaked open, and there stood Callan looking at me furiously. His mother's dark brown eyes looked into my very soul as he said nothing.

"I'm so sorry about this, Callan; I know you must be upset right now, but ...."

"Was he with you last night?" He said coldly.

"What?"

"My father, was he with you last night?" He repeated just as coldly.

"He said he fell asleep, and when I woke up, he was gone."

"That's not what I asked you. When you left the dance last night, was he with you all night?"

I stared into his dark eyes and felt tears in my eyes. "Yes," I whispered. "But we both just fell asleep."

"My father is not the hero you think he is, Ebony. He hurts everyone and everything around him, and you are no different. My grandparents died because he left them alone, and now my mother is dead because he left her for you. It's only a matter of time before he leaves you for the next victim. He's not the good guy here."

"Please don't say that. I know you two have had issues before, but ...."

"It's only a matter of time," Callan said, walking back into his room.

"Please don't push me away. I know you are hurting right now, and I want to help you." I followed him into the room and watched him collapse on the bed. "Callan, please."

"Why do you care?" He said, sitting up. "You don't even know me."

"Because that's what humans do. We care about others that are hurting purely because they are hurting. I care about you and your father, and to some extent, maybe Jake and I don't like seeing you all like this. You lost someone significant to you all, and I care, ok!" I yelled a little too loudly. "I want to help you all get through this, but the vampire way of doing that is acting like a complete douche."

He looked stunned at my words.

"Now, get showered and get dressed so we can get the hell out of here," I said, throwing a shirt at him.

"Is it weird that I like you a little better when you're angry?" He said, raising his eyebrows.

"Shut it and get ready," I smiled as I walked towards the door. "If you need me, you know where I am." I walked quickly down the hallway and into the bedroom. I sat at the bedroom window and sighed loudly as I watched the snowfall onto the ground. How could this happen? How did Leon even get in here? I wish Carter were here.

I turned around slowly as if my thoughts had magical powers, and I would see him standing behind me in his pristine suit and slicked-back hair, but he wasn't there, and my stomach knotted at the thought of him hurting right now. He was so mad, and why did his eyes change to red? Like the night I first meet him. Is he becoming the monster again?

"Ebony," a deep voice said in my ear, and I jumped.

"Carter?" I turned to see him standing next to me and threw my arms around him tightly. "Oh my god, are you ok? I'm sorry about before. I was just so worried about you."

"Ebony, I have to go away for a while," he touched my face with his thumb. "I may be gone a while."

"What? Where are you going?"

"My world has contacted me and ordered that I return to them. My presence here threatens the vampire world, and they want to take over the hunt for Leon. I must return. I'm sorry."

"You're leaving me? Here with Leon? Are you serious? Without you here, I'm as good as dead, and you're just going to leave me here? You promised me you would keep me safe, Carter." I pushed myself away from him as I yelled.

"I don't have a choice here. The vampire council is furious over Genevieve's death, and I must return. My presence here is putting you in more danger."

"So that's it then, I'm dead."

"You don't think this is killing me, leaving you here like this?"

"Then, why are you?" I yelled, walking away, wiping my tears. "He said you would do this,"

"Who?"

I didn't answer him.

"WHO?" He bellowed loudly.

"It doesn't matter because you're leaving. Just go, Carter. Leave me alone." I picked up my suitcase and walked towards the door. Callan was right, after all.

"I have never in my entire life questioned the vampire council as it usually results in death, yet today I stood in front of my elders and told them I didn't want to leave this world because of a human girl, a girl I care about more than anything else. I told them I refuse to leave you behind and would rather die than see you get hurt."

I turned to look at him as tears ran down my face.

"I told them you were my one; without you, this life is not worth living anymore. I chose you." My breath hitched in my throat at his words.

"Then why are you leaving me here?" I cried out.

"Because they told me if I chose to stay here with you and defy their order, they would have you captured and put you to death. I can't let that happen, and I won't. I don't want to leave you, Ebony. I want to keep you safe," he walked towards me and gently cupped my face in his hands. "I have been searching for you my whole life, and now I must let you go. I now understand the fear and the powerful force it has on one. I fear that I will not see you again, which feels worse than death."

"I don't want you to go," I cried as he wiped the tears running down my face. "I know I shouldn't be, but I'm developing very strong feelings for you, Carter, and I don't want you to go."

He rested his head on mine and closed his eyes. "Is that what this feeling is inside me? Is this what it feels like? Every thought I have is about you, and the thought of being without you makes me feel even emptier inside, and I would rather die than see you hurt. Is that what this is supposed to feel like?"

"Yes," I said, looking up into his now silver eyes.

"Then I, too, think I have feelings for you." he smiled and moved his lips closer to mine. I wrapped my arms around his neck and pulled him closer to me. Our lips touched ever so slightly, and he closed his eyes as we kissed softly. His lips were soft and cold, like he had just eaten an ice block, but everything about that moment was perfect. The way he ran his fingers through my hair and picked me up in his arms without breaking the kiss, and my body reacted to his touch. It was everything a kiss should be, and neither one of us wanted it to end.