"Indeed. What is that?" She said, glaring at me with her intense dark eyes. "Is she the entree?" She smirked at me.

"Who?" Carter said, almost stuck in a trace. "Oh, this is Ebony, my assistant for work. Just my assistant, who is here for work purposes," he said awkwardly, not even looking at me.

"You employed a human? Are you getting soft in your old age Carter? I remember there was a time when you couldn't even be in the same room as one without ripping its head clean off." she glared at me again. "Shame things have changed because I'm feeling mighty peckish right now."

My heart skipped a beat as she stared at me hungrily.

"I am not that vampire anymore, Genevieve. She is not to be harmed." Carter said abruptly.

"Are you telling me this thing is YOUR human, Carter?" She said, taking a step closer to me and looking at me with absolute disgust.

His body language suddenly changed, like he was being threatened, and the atmosphere became tense as they stared at each other. She took another step toward me as if to challenge him to react.

"She is indeed MY human Genevieve," he growled as he spoke. "Do not do this."

"Then why does she smell like our son?" She hissed at me.

Carter looked at me with his aqua eyes, and I could tell that he was clearly upset at this statement.

"Is your little human girl spending quality time with our son behind closed doors?" She sneered at Carter.

"What are you insinuating ?" He said, moving his eyes back to his ex-wife.

"I don't need to insinuate anything; you can smell him too. Why are you protecting her?" She yelled.

"I am not protecting her."

"It's nothing really, he brought me my dress tonight, and we talked. That's it, I swear." I blurted out, cutting Carter off and taking a step backward. "We're just friends."

"Lies, I know my son, and he would never be 'friends' with a useless human. She is lying, Carter. She betrayed you with our son," Genevieve said as she walked towards him and touched his face. "She is lying to you, my darling," she said gently, stroking his face.

"No, I'm not. He was telling me about London and growing up in the castle, and he told me about his grandfather and how he wished he had more time with him. Carter, I swear to you, that's it. I would never betray your trust like that," I cried out, defending myself, but both Carter and Genevieve were no longer listening to me. Carter was locked on her eyes as she slid the tip of her finger down his chest seductively.

Carter caught her hand just before it reached the edge of his pants. "I know my human Genevieve, and I trust her. If she says nothing is going on, then there is nothing going on, and kindly stop touching me, as you no longer have the right to do that. I hope you have an enjoyable evening." he smiled at her face sweetly and then turned to me. "Oh, by the way, her name is Ebony and not human. You will kindly address her by her name from now on. Have a wonderful night, Genevieve." he said, retaking my hand and pulling me towards the staircase.

"I swear, Carter, I would never do anything."

"I know that I trust you more than anyone. My ex-wife is a very vindictive and spiteful woman who spends her eternal life trying to manipulate me, and she has for a very long time, but things have changed. I no longer feel the need for her, and she is having a hard time coming to terms with that." he said, leading me down the stairs towards the music coming from the ballroom.

"Should I be worried about her?" I said as I stood on the last step, his hand still in mine.

"As I said before, you are MY human Ebony, and no harm will come to you. I promise you that." His eyes had specks of silver and grey in them once again.

"Why do your eyes do that when you look at me?" I reached out and touched his face. His eyes turned silver almost immediately.

"It's a sign that you are meant to be with me. I guess it's like when your heart flutters at someone's touch. I have no heart, but I still feel the need for contact now and then." He once again had me in a trance as he looked at me.

"Boss, there you are. Everyone is asking where you are." I heard Jake's voice from behind, and I pulled my hand from Carter's face, and as always, his eyes turned back to their beautiful aqua.

"I apologize, Jacob. We ran into the ex upstairs," Carter said, clearing his throat.

"And Ebony survived? Wow, I didn't expect that" Jake smiled at me. "Loving the dress, by the way."

"Thank you, loving the suit thing you have going on here. You look kind of..." I said, looking at him in his black suit and white tie.

"Like sex on legs, right?" Jake said, winking and posing.

"I was going to say nice," I said, shaking my head. "But you just took that moment away by opening your mouth."

"That's right, sex on legs," Jake flicked his collar up. "Look out, Ladies. There is more than enough of me for everyone. "He turned on his heels and danced towards the ballroom.

"Ok, can we go now?" I said, making a face at Carter, who was clearly amused by Jake and his ego.

"Of course," he looped his arm in mine and led me to the ballroom. "After you, my lady."